Show off your tools!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today I have a bunch more warehouse racking coming for the garage, so my older boy and I rushed to finish the extended safety railings for the forklift platform.

1789127965618.webp

1789127986032.webp

1789128001327.webp

1789128059924.webp

1789128097439.webp
 
I love the stuff. It is hard to see in the photos but the mill is in a bay with 42" racking and the space next to it will get the 13" South Bend lathe in the other photo, once I get it completed. I do find myself wondering if I can put a built up 1HZ above the mill....
 
Last edited:
I love the stuff. It is hard to see in the photos but the mill is in a bay with 42" racking and the space next to it will get the South Bend lathe in the other photo, once I get it completed. I do find myself wondering if I can put a built up 1HZ above the mill....

If those are 5 or 6" crossbeams you can put 3 fully dressed 1HZ's on each shelf no sweat.

I have a section of 3" square upright 30" teardrop racking with 5" double wrapped beams currently carrying four complete 5.9 and 6.7 24 valve Cummins engines, a 6.0 Powerstroke and a 6.7 Powerstroke on two 9ft wide shelves.

I have three 20ft shipping containers beside my shop. Two are full of the same 30" deep racking. One of those containers is just remnant/surplus material from my machine shop. I have wide 1/2" steel plates under the uprights to distribute the load into the 1" thick plywood floor. There's conservatively 50K lbs of steel and aluminum on the pallet racking inside that one shipping container. Multiple tons per shelf.

It's amazing what the stuff is rated to hold.

next time you're in Costco or another big box store just consider that on average, a pallet stacked with stuff and stretch wrapped weighs around 1000-1400 lbs each.
 
If those are 5 or 6" crossbeams you can put 3 fully dressed 1HZ's on each shelf no sweat.

I have a section of 3" square upright 30" teardrop racking with 5" double wrapped beams currently carrying four complete 5.9 and 6.7 24 valve Cummins engines, a 6.0 Powerstroke and a 6.7 Powerstroke on two 9ft wide shelves.

I have three 20ft shipping containers beside my shop. Two are full of the same 30" deep racking. One of those containers is just remnant/surplus material from my machine shop. I have wide 1/2" steel plates under the uprights to distribute the load into the 1" thick plywood floor. There's conservatively 50K lbs of steel and aluminum on the pallet racking inside that one shipping container. Multiple tons per shelf.

It's amazing what the stuff is rated to hold.

next time you're in Costco or another big box store just consider that on average, a pallet stacked with stuff and stretch wrapped weighs around 1000-1400 lbs each.
I asked the racking company how much I could put on the wire racks. No answer yet, but I was thinking that with some 1" OSB it should be ok. In case anyone is interested, the narrow stuff is 24" deep and the wide stuff is 42" deep and the tall racking is 16' high and the short is 12'.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PIP
I asked the racking company how much I could put on the wire racks. No answer yet, but I was thinking that with some 1" OSB it should be ok. In case anyone is interested, the narrow stuff is 24" deep and the wide stuff is 42" deep and the tall racking is 16' high and the short is 12'.

I use wire racks for lighter, smaller stuff. For heavy stuff I just use 2x lumber solid across the entire shelf.

I actually prefer the 2x lumber to the wire racks for everything, but it's so much time to cut hundreds of boards.
 
I use wire racks for lighter, smaller stuff. For heavy stuff I just use 2x lumber solid across the entire shelf.

I actually prefer the 2x lumber to the wire racks for everything, but it's so much time to cut hundreds of boards.
I did that for my water softener tank and yes, it was annoying to do without a table saw! The best part was being able to put a shelf on exactly the right level to stack 40 lb salt bags so they pour right in.
 
We got maybe 20-30hrs on this machine at most now.

IMG_4880.webp


If you are bummed on the blue( Miller) as we are or the red (Lincoln) really give the silver a good solid look!

I am super happy with this machine, for $3k it rocks real hard and anyone wanting to get into a good mig machine should give the HTP a consideration. It has exceeded my expectations for the money by a lot! In fact, with me, HTP has earned a loyal customer. Perhaps for the rest of my days!

Any DIY guy or hobbyist will be 100% stoked on this machine. Not the best for 20g sheet metal using .035 wire but besides that give it a long hard look if you are in the market for a new mig welder. We are going to compliment this machine with a much smaller mig that we will run .023 in all the time for sheet metal work. For the bigger jobs this “3000 Pulse” from HTP has been rock solid so far! Couldn’t be more stoked for the price!!

Cheers
 
I was working on some garage lighting and spray painting handy boxes when I asked myself whether I could try powder coating.... One trip to marketplace later...

1790890627360.webp

1790890642062.webp

1790890657173.webp

1790890670511.webp

1790890689781.webp

I still have a lot to learn but it is hella-better than spray paint.
 
Like using a glass bead cabinet. 30 years after I moved out of my garage and into the pole barn, the tops of the rafters in the garage ceiling had bead dust all over them. I used it for a few weeks when I first started without the vac system ….3 decades earlier
 
Like using a glass bead cabinet. 30 years after I moved out of my garage and into the pole barn, the tops of the rafters in the garage ceiling had bead dust all over them. I used it for a few weeks when I first started without the vac system ….3 decades earlier
Even with the "sock" over the vacuum exhaust I was getting dust so finally plumbed to outside.
 
Back
Top Bottom