Shifting Issue After Extensive Work Done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BLUF: 1995 HDJ81 (1HD-FT) won't go past 2000 rpm in Drive, but can in 2nd. In Drive it can't hardly get to 2000 rpm, and if it does and shifts to 3rd, it immediately kicks back down to second.

Long story: I have a 1995 HDJ81 with 125k kilometers on it. I recently had the local Land Cruiser shop install/do the following:

Gturbo Red Wheel at 25 psi
Tillix Split Pule Manifold
PDI Front-mount Intercooler
PDI Airbox
ADS Injection Fuel Pump (250hp)
ADS injection Fuel Injectors
EGR Delete
ACSD Delete
Glow Screen Delete
New Fuel Filter
HPD Catch Can (between valve cover and airbox)
Timing Adjusted
Fluids drained and refilled

The thing started right up and purrs like a kitten. Throttle response is great right off the go - it feels spry now as opposed to somewhat lumbering before the work was done. I can hear the turbo spin up - sounds like no problems there.

The problem occurs when you try to get into 3rd and 4th gears, where the engine simply won't go above 2000 rpm. In 2nd you can rev it past 2000 rpm and it has good power, but in Drive it won't go.

Troubleshooting steps done so far:

Checked for leaks on air intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo, intercooler, and airbo - no leaks. Retightened everything to be safe
Checked automatic transmission fluid and filled up
Checked for obstructions in exhaust. No obstructions. No-cat exhaust.
Adjusted kickdown cable to FSM spec
Adjusted throttle cable
Blanked boost compensator hose to see if anything changed - no change

Any ideas? Photos attched.
IMG-4497.jpg
IMG-4498.jpg
IMG-4499.jpg
69701210020--AD3B086E-31BD-47FB-BB3D-158DC9697A54.jpg

BLUF: 1995 HDJ81 (1HD-FT) won't go past 2000 rpm in Drive, but can in 2nd. In Drive it can't hardly get to 2000 rpm, and if it does and shifts to 3rd, it immediately kicks back down to second.

Long story: I have a 1995 HDJ81 with 125k kilometers on it. I recently had the local Land Cruiser shop install/do the following:

Gturbo Red Wheel at 25 psi
Tillix Split Pule Manifold
PDI Front-mount Intercooler
PDI Airbox
ADS Injection Fuel Pump (250hp)
ADS injection Fuel Injectors
EGR Delete
ACSD Delete
Glow Screen Delete
New Fuel Filter
HPD Catch Can (between valve cover and airbox)
Timing Adjusted
Fluids drained and refilled

The thing started right up and purrs like a kitten. Throttle response is great right off the go - it feels spry now as opposed to somewhat lumbering before the work was done. I can hear the turbo spin up - sounds like no problems there.

The problem occurs when you try to get into 3rd and 4th gears, where the engine simply won't go above 2000 rpm. In 2nd you can rev it past 2000 rpm and it has good power, but in Drive it won't go.

Troubleshooting steps done so far:

Checked for leaks on air intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo, intercooler, and airbo - no leaks. Retightened everything to be safe
Checked automatic transmission fluid and filled up
Checked for obstructions in exhaust. No obstructions. No-cat exhaust.
Adjusted kickdown cable to FSM spec
Adjusted throttle cable
Blanked boost compensator hose to see if anything changed - no change

Any ideas? Photos attched.
View attachment 3239493View attachment 3239494View attachment 3239495View attachment 3239496

It was the fuel pump. The company accidentally shipped a manual pump without the throttle position sensor attachment and peg that the automatic has. Fortunately, I have a second pump I can use parts to make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom