Setting Idle and Throttle Position Sensor on a 2LT-E, Hard Cold Start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bsweaty

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.bsweaty.com
I've been through the ringer with my Hilux Surf LN130 2LT-E, but most bridges have been crossed and the project rig is coming around nicely. Since I have owned the vehicle, it has had a hard start. It cranks for 5-10 seconds before chugging to life. It has a bit of white and sometimes grey smoke, never black on start. Once it's up and running, we are golden. Currently runs great, I've dialed in the turbo and fuel screw that definitely brings this thing to life. I have pretty much narrowed it down to idle and the throttle position sensor, in which a new TPS sensor is on the way just in case. Before we go further, I'll go through some notes on what's been done and replaced:
  • New updated version of the OEM 2LT-E head(my head cracked, duh. cylinder walls looked good and rings were in spec according to the info I could find)
  • Throttle butterflies have been removed
  • EGR has been removed, existing vacuum lines have been set back to factory
  • OEM Timing belt
  • OEM fuel filter and priming pump(there's fuel at the pump when I start)
  • Replaced all fuel hose as some was old and crumbly
  • OEM coolant temp sensor on the side of the block
  • A fresh ECU, both seem to work great
  • OEM SCV, probably unnecessary but I've been trying to dial this thing in properly
It seems that my air / fuel on start doesn't quite line up. Every once in a while the Surf will start with a higher / lower idle than normal, and every once in a while it start just fine. Idle below 700 is incredibly shaky, so my motor mounts are probably bad... Besides the point. Also, A/C doesn't work and I know theres a note on how that can affect idle speed. Once it's warm, usually starts better but never perfect. My questions are:
  1. Is there a procedure for setting idle and TPS sensor? I can't seem to get my hands on a manual, although 1KZT-E seems to have a similar system.
  2. There's a little oil between the turbo and the intake, can this mess things up with the TPS sensor? I've been thinking of adding an oil catch (and an intercooler of course) on the crank case tube.
  3. Currently I have the TPS sensor twisted pretty far in against the spring, where should this be set on a properly running vehicle?
  4. Idle is set by the ECU, so trying to set it with the throttle cable isn't a good idea, correct?
Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks a ton for the help!

69967392498__A45DB685-D1FF-4F5C-B18F-5E2EB0074F16.jpg

Last edited:
I've been through the ringer with my Hilux Surf LN130 2LT-E, but most bridges have been crossed and the project rig is coming around nicely. Since I have owned the vehicle, it has had a hard start. It cranks for 5-10 seconds before chugging to life. It has a bit of white and sometimes grey smoke, never black on start. Once it's up and running, we are golden. Currently runs great, I've dialed in the turbo and fuel screw that definitely brings this thing to life. I have pretty much narrowed it down to idle and the throttle position sensor, in which a new TPS sensor is on the way just in case. Before we go further, I'll go through some notes on what's been done and replaced:
  • New updated version of the OEM 2LT-E head(my head cracked, duh. cylinder walls looked good and rings were in spec according to the info I could find)
  • Throttle butterflies have been removed
  • EGR has been removed, existing vacuum lines have been set back to factory
  • OEM Timing belt
  • OEM fuel filter and priming pump(there's fuel at the pump when I start)
  • Replaced all fuel hose as some was old and crumbly
  • OEM coolant temp sensor on the side of the block
  • A fresh ECU, both seem to work great
  • OEM SCV, probably unnecessary but I've been trying to dial this thing in properly
It seems that my air / fuel on start doesn't quite line up. Every once in a while the Surf will start with a higher / lower idle than normal, and every once in a while it start just fine. Idle below 700 is incredibly shaky, so my motor mounts are probably bad... Besides the point. Also, A/C doesn't work and I know theres a note on how that can affect idle speed. Once it's warm, usually starts better but never perfect. My questions are:
  1. Is there a procedure for setting idle and TPS sensor? I can't seem to get my hands on a manual, although 1KZT-E seems to have a similar system.
  2. There's a little oil between the turbo and the intake, can this mess things up with the TPS sensor? I've been thinking of adding an oil catch (and an intercooler of course) on the crank case tube.
  3. Currently I have the TPS sensor twisted pretty far in against the spring, where should this be set on a properly running vehicle?
  4. Idle is set by the ECU, so trying to set it with the throttle cable isn't a good idea, correct?
Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks a ton for the help!

View attachment 3266199
First, any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help or insight here.

Second, I replaced the TPS with an oem version and set up the throttle linkage. I went off a video on the 22RE/3VZ, and it looks like the 3VZ is the same part number if im not mistaken: 89452-12040.

The truck chugs a little to start, once a little warm idles and starts great. Idle on start is 750, then quickly cools off to around 600. When in drive or reverse, drops close to 500. This seems awfully low, shakes the truck pretty hard. On cold start, it might stall when the idle drops.

The truck drives great. Cruises 75 no problem. Fuel consumption seems a little low, but in the normal realm.

Spill valve is about one full turn from runaway. Compression test on all 4 cylinders was around 360-380 with a dying starter. I’ll likely retest when my new starter gets here.

I know the ecu sets idle, but is there anything I could be missing? Thanks!
C727E4C2-E23A-4FF1-ABD9-057772E97B42.png
F7C0D41C-102C-4348-BF18-C4D855D0078D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom