Sequoia v. 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going back to the guy who bought the MDX; I just can't fathom how a MDX would have made a Sequoia feel chinzy. If I had to consider the MDX I'd have considered the RX330, Highlander, 4Runner, and GX as well. My experience with straying from Toyotas to Acuras was less than pleasurable with my TL Type-S so that biases me some I know but I can't see how the MDX would make the Sequoia feel chinzy. There is nothing about the MDX that exudes being remotely close to overbuilt. It feels adequate for urban transportation of 4 people but I think the Seq. is more than up to that. All of the above is just my biased opinion. :)

tabraha said:
Going back to the guy who bought the MDX; I just can't fathom how a MDX would have made a Sequoia feel chinzy. If I had to consider the MDX I'd have considered the RX330, Highlander, 4Runner, and GX as well. My experience with straying from Toyotas to Acuras was less than pleasurable with my TL Type-S so that biases me some I know but I can't see how the MDX would make the Sequoia feel chinzy. There is nothing about the MDX that exudes being remotely close to overbuilt. It feels adequate for urban transportation of 4 people but I think the Seq. is more than up to that. All of the above is just my biased opinion. :)

IFS
IRS
Suspension is dialed in great for on-road spirited driving
Smaller size though larger than some you mention

The MDX eats the 4Runner, RX330, AND GX470 if you want the luxury though sporty type of ride. Of course the GX is more cushy, quiet, and the like....though not by a whole lot. Acura has a winner there. So much the Honda clone (Pilot) is the front-runner in it's class.

Cruiser_Nerd said:
I've been buying three year old off-lease cruisers as the family trucksters for awhile. Last year I gave my wife the choice of a 2003 Sequin or a 2000 100, they were both the same price. The girls chose the "basic" 100 over the Sequin with all the options. They said the tree was bloated, felt cheap, and despite its size, not at all solid.

I won't even talk about my buying a Chevy 1500 instead of a Tundra. Let's see, I could have a tinny lightweight half ton for $32k or a tinny lightweight half ton for $22k. After years of wanting a full size from Toyota, I just couldn't justify it. :'(

Wow, you're smoking something good!!! What made you choose that? I take my 2000 first year Tundra over my Dad's 2001 GMC 1500 any day of the week. The Tundra is WAY more refined, comfortable, and smooth (not to mention a bit faster).

ShottsUZJ100 said:
IFS
IRS
Suspension is dialed in great for on-road spirited driving
Smaller size though larger than some you mention

The MDX eats the 4Runner, RX330, AND GX470 if you want the luxury though sporty type of ride. Of course the GX is more cushy, quiet, and the like....though not by a whole lot. Acura has a winner there. So much the Honda clone (Pilot) is the front-runner in it's class.

I think you guys are talkin apples and oranges. You would compare a MDX to a BMW X5, both are cars that sit up high!! The 4runner/GX is about the same size as the MDX but the Toyotas are Trucks, full frame and capable to be off road vehicles. The Sequoia is the Expedition size and that would be the comparison, big and capable to haul family size stuff. The LC/LX is a Luxury SUV that can do it all and feel like you won the lottery while you are doing it. I think we have so many options that you can't compare vehicles, you just buy what fits your needs or passion.

Pitbull said:
I think you guys are talkin apples and oranges. You would compare a MDX to a BMW X5, both are cars that sit up high!! The 4runner/GX is about the same size as the MDX but the Toyotas are Trucks, full frame and capable to be off road vehicles. The Sequoia is the Expedition size and that would be the comparison, big and capable to haul family size stuff. The LC/LX is a Luxury SUV that can do it all and feel like you won the lottery while you are doing it. I think we have so many options that you can't compare vehicles, you just buy what fits your needs or passion.

Right on Bull. My point was to why that person probably bought the MDX. They like the drive, ala X5. The others mentioned can't compete in that arena. Well, there are 2 other options....Cayenne and Tourareg. Though I haven't driven those, I bet they slam down the road as good or better than an MDX or X5?

Dammit Pitbull! I just took 3 paragraphs to try and say what you said in one. :flipoff2: Now I won't even bother to post it!

I agree 100% with everything you just said. :beer:

BTW that Toureg with the V-10 Diesel sounds killer!

hey 1 other point i dont know the inards of the sequoia but i was in my friends 04 limited with 4 people and a bit of cargo and we got stuck in loose sand! this was some time ago not sure if things have changed but what 4 wheel drive systme do they have? i dont think it is the same as the 100 series (not even sure if it has lockers) any way we had to walk a bit to get a tow truck to get us out now im also not complaining because its built in indian but the materials are definetly not the same as the 100 series. 1 thing i can say after traveling to lots of parts of the world toyota puts these parts on to save money there are 100 series land cruiser in asia and australia with very cheap interiors.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Right on Bull. My point was to why that person probably bought the MDX. They like the drive, ala X5. The others mentioned can't compete in that arena. Well, there are 2 other options....Cayenne and Tourareg. Though I haven't driven those, I bet they slam down the road as good or better than an MDX or X5?
A Cayanne outclasses any other SUV in performance. No question. Their reliability is yet to be seen, though. They are very fast (very very in the Turbo). The only think close to a Cayanne is the BMW X5 in the 4.6. My friend owns one and it is fast and very agile but comes short to the Cayanne.

Jukelemon said:
A Cayanne outclasses any other SUV in performance. No question. Their reliability is yet to be seen, though. They are very fast (very very in the Turbo). The only think close to a Cayanne is the BMW X5 in the 4.6. My friend owns one and it is fast and very agile but comes short to the Cayanne.

A friend at the gym was driving one of these as a loaner, when he was having something done at the dealer to his 911 Turbo. Dealer was trying to sell him one so he wanted him to drive it for a couple of days while they worked on the Turbo. They sure are ugly, but they are finished nice. He didn't like it at first but after driving it a couple of days said it was real nice. But he would reather have the 911 Turbo that would totally out perform the Cayanne and if he wanted a SUV he would get a LX470. I agree!!

We were actually shopping for a Seq. when we ended up buying the Land Cruiser. The Seq was bigger car, but seemed for cumbersome to handle around town. It felt like a bigger car than it was, while the LC drives like a smaller car than it is.

I also like the 3rd row seats that fold to the side, so that we can fit our dog's cage in the back and not have to remove the 3rd row seats on long trips. We only have 1 child right now, so there's more than enough room for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom