September Long Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LABOUR DAY LONG WEEKEND TRIP - SEPT 3-5, 2005.

WE GATHERED SATURDAY MORNING IN PARK ROYAL. GARY TELFORD, BRUCE DAVIE AND PARTNER MILENA, JAN HEDMARK AND PARTNER ANGELICA, AND BILL WILKINSON. FOR A GROUP THAT MOSTLY HAVE NOT WHEELED TOGETHER, WE HAD REMARKABLE HARMONY ON THIS TRIP. WE WERE ALL DRIVING DIESELS.

WE DROVE UP TO SQUAMISH AND PICKED UP GARRY BROECKLING AND MOVED ON UP THE DUFFY LAKE ROAD TO LILLOOET WHERE WE TOPPED UP OUR FUEL. JUST OUTSIDE LILLOOET WE TOOK PICTURES OF THE NATIVE INDIANS AND THEIR FISH CAMP ON THE FRASER RIVER. THEN IT WAS ON UP THE YALACOM RIVER VALLEY FSR FOR SCENIC GRAVEL TRAVEL. ALONG THE WAY, CAMPSITES AT YALACOM AND BEAVERDAM WERE AVAILABLE, BUT THEY ARE ACCESSABLE TO CARS.
FINALLY, WE ARRIVED AT POISON MOUNTAIN AND CIRCLED AROUND IT LOOKING FOR A GOOD CAMPSITE. WE GOT A BIT DISORIENTED BECAUSE THE MAP BOOKS WERE INADEQUATE AND THE ROADS WE WERE TRAVELLING WERE OFTEN NOT ON THE MAP. WE EVENTUALLY FOUND A GOOD CAMPSITE ON THE N.W. SIDE OF POISON MOUNTAIN. SKYS WERE CLEAR, THE STARS OUT, THE CAMPFIRE WARM, AND WE TURNED IN EXPECTING PERFECT WEATHER. DURING THE NIGHT IT RAINED HARD AND THEN CLEARED UP AGAIN, LEAVING FROST ON THE GROUND BY MORNING AND SNOW ON THE MOUNTAIN PEAKS.

AFTER A LEISURELY START SUNDAY MORNING WE HEADED UP THE NORTH SIDE OF CHINA HEAD WHICH HAD A FRESH DUSTING OF SNOW OVERNIGHT. ALL VEHICLES MADE IT UP AND WE ENJOYED AN INCREDIBLE VIEW FROM 7300 FEET ALTITUDE. LATER, WE VENTURED UP THE MUDD LAKES ROAD TO ANOTHER GREAT VIEWPOINT IN A NORTHERLY DIRECTION. WE GOT SNOW AT THAT POINT TOO. THEN WE GOT THE IDEA THAT WE W0ULD LIKE TO CAMP AT BIG BAR FOR THE NIGHT, BUT GOT LOST TRYING TO FIND THE BIG BAR ROAD AND ENDED UP CAMPING AT THE SAME POISON MOUNTAIN CAMPSITE AGAIN. DURING THE NIGHT IT RAINED AGAIN AND FROZE UP SO THAT THE CRUISER DOORS WERE FROZEN SHUT IN THE MORNING.

MONDAY MORNING, WITH ALL FOUR DIESELS SMOKING PROFUSELY, WE HEADED UP THE MUD LAKES ROAD AGAIN AND EXPERIENCED THE MOST CHALLENGING ROADS WE HAD SEEN UP TO THAT POINT. MUD LAKES AND SWARTZ LAKE ARE GORGEOUS AND THEIR CAMPSITES ARE WORTH VISITING. ALONG THE MUD LAKES AREA, THE BEAVER DAMS ARE RUNNING ALONGSIDE AND THE WATER LEVEL IS WELL ABOVE THE ROAD. EVENTUALLY WE FOLLOWED THE MUD CREEK ROAD SOUTH AND ON TO CARPENTER LAKE AND GOLDBRIDGE WHERE THE GAS STATION WAS CLOSED AS USUAL.

AT GOLDBRIDGE WE HAD THE ONLY MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION WHEN GARRY BROECKLING'S HEADLIGHTS QUIT BECAUSE HIS FUSE BLOCK FRACTURED. A WIRE JUMPER QUICKLY FIXED UP THAT PROBLEM AND SOON WE WERE ON THE HURLEY FSR HEADING SOUTH. THREE QUARTERS OF THE WAY DOWN THE HURLEY WE TOOK THE "SHORT CUT" SAFARI DOWN THE OLD HURLEY ROAD TOWARD PEMBERTON MEADOWS. IT WAS QUITE OVERGROWN AND NOT MAINTAINED SO BRANCHES WERE SCOURING THE SIDES OF OUR VEHICLES IN THE DARK.

WE HIT PAVEMENT AT PEMBERTON MEADOWS AND FINALLY FUELED UP IN PEMBERTON. WEEKEND TRAFFIC WAS LIGHT AS WE PASSED THROUGH WHISTLER ABOUT 9:00 pm AND WE ARRIVED IN VANCOUVER ABOUT 12:30 am FEELING TIRED BUT SATISFIED IT WAS ANOTHER GREAT TRIP IN OUR FANTASTIC B.C. BACKWOODS. FOR LOTS OF PICTURES OF THIS TRIP GO TO GARRY BROECKLING'S WEBSITE AT www.coastalcruisers.ca

~Bill Wilkinson

A2B in a TLC said:
Hey Semlin,

2256 meters divided by .3048 meters per ft = 7401.57 ft.

Are you reading the same?

B

my gps gave me a measurement in feet of about 7200 on the road near the peak. the maps iirc were around 2100 meters for the peak which is a ways up from the road. i have an old mussio guide and a BCFS rec map.

that sounds like a great trip btw, but I don't understand which big bar road you could not find. the only road across from yalokum to big bar i know is china head and it sounds like you found that ok (I had a heck of a time picking up the start because of all the new logging roads)

here's where I was at 7200 feet :D
china3.jpg

ok just looked at your website photos and they are very cool. however, if that route map is correct what you have labelled as china head is not china head. china head is well east of the yalokum FSR and probably just off that map. it also looks to me like the dead end road you took towards big bend is the same one I took first. I took two more before I finally found the actual china head FSR which was basically a cart track veering off a pretty new FSR at a bridge that began with a creek ford and then was two tire furrows leading along the base of a collapsed sidehill heading ENE.

there has been a lot of recent logging roads built in this area that don't match the map and are also bigger and newer than the roads shown on the map. the best way I could describe the entrance to china head fsr is that if you start at the 3-way signposted intersection which says yalokum one way, china head another and poison mtn another, you follow that china creek toute until it intersects a big new FSR then turn right and follow that FSR for a couple of KM until there is a left fork. follow that left fork right down into a valley bottom and at the bridge crossing right at the bottom the china creek road is just barely visible to one side. if you cross the bridge you come to a fork right away with both roads leading uphill and that means you've gone too far.

anyway it looks like you had a great trip anyway. I bet it was a tad chilly overnight :D

Looks like a great trip. Good on you Bill for organizing it! Just wish situations had been different on the home front. I would love to see more trips like that organized through the club.

gb

GPS alitimeters are infamously inaccurate

I have a suspicion that we were not on China Head, but actually on top of Poison Mountain. We tried to get to China Head but got all mixed up in those unmarked roads. The maps were very inaccurate, and the gps wasn't much better until we went south to Goldbridge. Anyway, the trip was a lot of fun and that stretch between Poison Mtn and Carpenter Lake was the most beautiful.
~Bill

As you will note from my Topo Map for the area, there are twin peaks where we were. The map shows that we were not on Poison Mtn twin, but rather on the unnamed (at least on Topo) peak at the 7400 ft level.

Bruce

Resolved - We were not on China Head

I had been having problems searching for places on the Topo Map until yesterday I updated the Garmin Mapsource program with a patch.

Indeed, China Head Mountain is about 15 km east of Poison Mountain. Therefore, we were not on China Head, but rather on Poison Mtn I think.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom