Semi-Scientific Headlight Bakeoff (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was going to get the Cibies, but then I stumbled across the Silvania Xenarc (HID) headlight replacements.

I heard bad things about them (light pattern), but these are supposed to be the 2nd-generation of them. Not sure if they still suck or not, and they are $$$, with high-beam HID's as well (I don't like that).

Maybe I should just stick with the halogens...

I would for two reasons.

1. The standard Cibies in my 62 work great, better than most new cars including my F-150 which has excellent headlights.

2. The HID in a compromised design (Modern HID's, like my old Jetta, were huge and had very intricate reflectors, my Jetta's HID's were amazing though). The cutoff never bothered oncoming motorists. In the 165mm design, I bet you would have a lot of stray light.

My 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GXP has non HID Projector headlights. Many of the G8 guys are putting HID upgrades in them and getting good results. I don't understand it as Utah has some VERY dark roads and I have never had issues.

That is my 2 cents. I do not believe my 62 will ever need more lighting towards the front than I have now.

Anyone have model numbers on the hella lights h1 and h4? Or recommendations on which bulbs to use in them?

Do a search on Hella ECE 165mm and you should find a dealer or two. Hella also makes headlights with totally clear lenses called Free Form. Just be careful before you send money to anyone that they have them in stock. These are interesting financial times, and you don't want to get stuck with a dealer that can't deliver and can't get new stock because he hasn't paid his bills.

Last edited:
Hella H1 & H4 Lamps for FJ62

Anyone have model numbers on the hella lights h1 and h4? Or recommendations on which bulbs to use in them?

The Hella part numbers for the FJ62 Lamps are:

High Beam H1: 003177871
Low Beam H4: 003177862

You will need to order 2 of each as they are sold individually.

I used the H4 Hella bulb H83140282, which are the Xenon Blue 100/80 watt bulbs. Aimed properly, they do not blind oncoming drivers, very nice light color both on highway and in the woods.

I bought the H1 Hella bulb H83115202, which are Xenon Blue to match, but they are only a 55w bulb. I wish they made it in a 100w version. Other companies do make 100w H1's though, so that is probably what I am going to get eventually.

I hope that helps! :beer:
Jim

The Hella part numbers for the FJ62 Lamps are:

High Beam H1: 003177871
Low Beam H4: 003177862

You will need to order 2 of each as they are sold individually.

I used the H4 Hella bulb H83140282, which are the Xenon Blue 100/80 watt bulbs. Aimed properly, they do not blind oncoming drivers, very nice light color both on highway and in the woods.

I bought the H1 Hella bulb H83115202, which are Xenon Blue to match, but they are only a 55w bulb. I wish they made it in a 100w version. Other companies do make 100w H1's though, so that is probably what I am going to get eventually.

I hope that helps! :beer:
Jim

Doesn't one need a different wiring harness to run these? Or are they plug in play?

Doesn't one need a different wiring harness to run these? Or are they plug in play?

I am using the harness that slcfj62 made, so I think you are right. I made the change to the lights when I added the harness.

If you replace your stock headlights in your FJ62 with H4/H1 headlights, you will either need to purchase adapters, or a new harness that is built for H4 headlights. And if you purchase H1 headlights with metal housings (Hella, Autopal), then you will need a new harness or your fuse will blow with stock wiring in your FJ62.

The round FJ60 headlights have the same headlight pin configuration whether H4 or sealed beam, so no adapters are needed.

Last edited:
Semi-Scientific Headlight Bakeoff Part 2

I did some more headlight comparisons. For FJ62 rectangular headlights, Cibie and Bosch are primo, but at $75 each, the entrance fee is very steep. Hella is in a not too distant second place, and for a lot less money, it is a very good option. You have two choices with the Hella H4s--Free Form or ECE. Hella H1s are only available in the ECE form. ECE code headlights are the type of headlight used everywhere in the world except North America for the past 40 years. Here are three pics of these headlights. In each of these three pictures, the Freeform H4 is on the left, the ECE H4 is in the middle and the ECE H1 is on the right.
HellaFJ62firstsmall.jpg
HellaFJ62secondsmall.jpg
HellaFJ62thirdsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Hella H4 FreeForm vs. ECE Low Beam

Here is a side by side comparison of the Hella H4 FreeForm and the Hella H4 ECE on Low Beam. The first pic is the FreeForm. Light intensity was 79 LUX. The second pic is the ECE H4 on Low Beam. Light intensity was 86 LUX. I should mention that you can't compare these LUX measurements to the previous ones that I did because the light meter was in a different location. You can't really see it in the picture, but there is a little stray light above the ECE H4 vertical cutoff, but not a lot. The light pattern below the vertical cutoff line is much better than the Free Form, and the intensity is also better with the ECE. Advantage on Low Beam: ECE.
HellaH4FreeFormlowsmall.JPG
hellaH4ECElowsmall.JPG

Last edited:
Hella H4 FreeForm vs. ECE High Beam

On High Beam, the light intensity is about the same: FreeForm 109 LUX and the ECE 108. You pick which light pattern you like better. I think I like the ECE better. The light pattern is larger with the ECE, but the intensity is just as great as the FreeForm. So, in my opinion, advantage ECE. I think the Hella H4 ECE performs better than the Free Form--and it's usually cheaper too.

Please refer to this thread for some tricks I employed to get the H4 and H1 headlights to work with my harness:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/468325-hella-ece-headlights-fj62.html

The first Pic is the FreeForm, the Second is the ECE.
HellaH4FreeFormHighsmall.JPG
hellaH4ECEhigh.jpg

Last edited:
7 inch round Syvanias

Now some comparisons for you 7 inch round headlight guys. This first headlight is a Sylvania XtraVision H6024 sealed beam headlight. It is here to compare the Cibie and the Hella to.

The first pic is the headlight on low beam. The light intensity is 62 LUX. The second pic is the headlight high beam. Light intensity is 78 LUX. This headlight really isn't that bad when it gets the full battery voltage which it won't get with stock wiring.
SylvaniaH6024xtravisionLowsmall.JPG
SylvaniaH6024xtravisionHighsmall.JPG

Last edited:
7 inch round Cibie and Hella ECE Low Beam

The 7 inch round Cibie kind of surprised me. Based on the performance of the rectangular Cibies for the FJ62, I thought the Cibie round headlights would out perform the Hellas which are less expensive. In my opinion, the Hella ECE 7 inch round headlight out performs the 7 in round Cibie headlights.

Here are side by comparisons for the low beams. The first one is the Cibie and LUX for low beam was 65. The second pic is the Hella. LUX was 77. The Hella had better light intensity, and the pattern was nearly the equal to the Cibie. At half the price, advantage: Hella.
Cibie7H4Lowsmall.JPG
Hella7H4Lowsmall.JPG

Last edited:
7 inch round Cibie and Hella ECE High Beam

And finally, as you can see from the pics, the high beam light pattern is nearly identical for the Hella and the Cibie ECE H4 headlights. The first pic is the Cibie at 102 LUX, and the second is the Hella at 105 LUX. If I was outfitting an FJ60 with new headlights to go with my new harness, I would go with the Hella ECE headlights. They perform at least as good as the Cibies, and at a cheaper price it's a no brainer.
Cibie7H4highsmall.JPG
Hella7H4Highsmall.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry, coming in late here. On the 7 inch round lights, are you demonstrating the Hella and Cibie Lens, or bulb, or both? I looked them up and there are a lot of ECE options out there, most without bulbs. I'd have to think that you'd get completely different results if you mixed and matched this incorrectly. Can you post up part numbers?

You have lots of options for 7 in round headlights. The 7 in round Cibie and Hella ECE H4 headlights were compared using the exact same H4 Osram 70/65W lamp part number 64205. It is an expensive sucker--about $20. By contrast, you can pick up a Hella 60/55W lamp for $5. I think a stock sealed beam headlight is about 45/40W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom