Semi float Axle shaft movement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I just replaced my rear pan hard bar/trac bar whatever you want to call it with an adjustable one. Well that's all good but the main reason for doing it was the clunking noise that came from the rear when driving off road or even when I went over a speed bump at an angle. Prior to this I thought it actually was the axles moving in and out of the housing noise I have heard while the truck was off the ground.

My truck is a 91 with the semi float rear (c-clips). For instance, I jack the rear tires off the ground, I can grab the tire and pull/ push it in and out of the housing almost an 1/8 inch and the noise of it hitting back and forth is the same noise I hear off road or hitting speed bumps.

When I did my gears and installed the aussie a couple years ago everything was in spec and has been working great since. Anyone ever have a similar issue?

Thanks

I have a little bit of slight play and I mean very little, I noticed it when I redid all the seals and bearings in my SF axle. An 1/8 inch seems like a little to much you might need thicker thrust washers in the diff.

You have a diff cover with the SF axle, drop it and take a look. The last thing you want to do is loose the c-clip while driving.

I have a little bit of slight play and I mean very little, I noticed it when I redid all the seals and bearings in my SF axle. An 1/8 inch seems like a little to much you might need thicker thrust washers in the diff.

Got a good point, I know when I used the stock washer, it fell within Aussies specs when I put it in, but maybe its a little looser than with the original spider gears allowing for the movement?

You have a diff cover with the SF axle, drop it and take a look. The last thing you want to do is loose the c-clip while driving.

Yeah that would suck but I think it would have happened in the last 20k or so miles since the install, but yeah gonna pull the cover this weekend and check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom