Searching for a Radiator for my HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a replacement radiator for my HDJ81 (build date 11/91). I searched ToyoDIY first by my vehicle for the part number and then by the part number to see what it matches. North America comes back with zero results but Japan and Europe returned the following:

Part# 16400-17060

Market Date range Model Frames/Options Found in diagram
Japan 01/1990-12/1997 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ80,FZJ80,HDJ81,HZJ81

Europe 01/1990-12/1997 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ80,FZJ80,HDJ80,HZJ80

Can anybody confirm whether or not a radiator out of one of the North American models will fit? Or point me in the right direction to find one that will?

I am looking for a replacement radiator for my HDJ81 (build date 11/91). I searched ToyoDIY first by my vehicle for the part number and then by the part number to see what it matches. North America comes back with zero results but Japan and Europe returned the following:

Part# 16400-17060

Market Date range Model Frames/Options Found in diagram
Japan 01/1990-12/1997 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ80,FZJ80,HDJ81,HZJ81

Europe 01/1990-12/1997 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ80,FZJ80,HDJ80,HZJ80

Can anybody confirm whether or not a radiator out of one of the North American models will fit? Or point me in the right direction to find one that will?

The FZJ radiator will fit, and the hoses are in the correct location.
What is slightly different is the radiator shroud. The HDJ shroud fits perfectly onto the FZJ radiator, but the threaded holes where the shroud attaches to the radiator are offset on the radiator.
This can easily be remedied by making a small bracket that connects the holes on the shroud to the holes on the radiator, as can be seen in the pic here. This is a full metal FZJ radiator, BTW.

Does that answer your question?
cheers,
jan
brackets.jpg

Get a 91-92 US market FJ80 Rad. Exact fit, even the shroud... only difference is one of the lower rad tank tranny cooler spigots on the FJ rad is straight out where the HDJ8 rad are both 90 deg. You can swap a 90 deg elbow from old HDJ rad. If you go aftermarket brass rad you won't have the option, spigots are brazed in.
Part number on the FJ Rad is 16400-61240
HTH

Has anybody tried the CSF 2709 rad in their HDJ81 (or FJ80 )?? I personaly like the idea of an all metal rad over OEM plastic tanks and I see the CSF 2709 listed on ebay in the $300-$350 range.
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/CSF-2709-Radiator-/74316004
Ive also seen mention on the forum and on other sites of them listed for this application but have not found anybody who has actually used one and can offer some real world feedback ????

I've been searching through threads to no avail, and hoping maybe somebody might know if I bump this. I need to replace the rad in my 1992 HDJ-81 1HD-T automatic transmission, and I've got the same question... does anybody know if the CSF 2709 (which fits '89-92 North American 4.0L gas 80-series cruiser) will fit on a 1992 HDJ-81 1HD-T AT? Without seeing the precise measurements, it appears to have the right holes and connections in the right places. Did you ever find an answer to this @Malahki ? Similarly, to your previous comment several years old, I would rather replace with an all-metal tank if possible. Any other suggestions?

EDIT - added some more info: I should have included a link to the radiator I'm looking at: Radiator-3 Row All Metal CSF 2709 fits 89-92 Toyota Land Cruiser | eBay

The alternative one I'm looking at, which is a reasonable price but plastic tanks (and also the question marks of the build quality) is here: RADIATOR (MANUAL/AUTO) (Right or left hand drive) for TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 4.2L Diesel - 5 door - 1/1990 to 6/1999

Thanks for any feedback!

@sprout, I did use the CSF Rad in my HDJ81 and it was an almost perfect fit, everything lines up and the holes are where they need to be. The only issue is the nipple for the trans cooler line on the right side points straight back and will need to be heated and bent to a 45 degree angled to clear the water pipe off of the motor that connects to the lower rad hose. No big deal

Thanks for that info @Malahki. I've been hemming and hawing the past few days at what to do. Lots of conflicting info. Some people figured an all metal rad like the CSF is best, others say only do OEM or Koyo, and all others are asking for trouble. It seems people have had good and bad experiences with both! In the end, I decided to get a Koyorad with plastic tanks. Fingers crossed it lasts as long as the original did!

Thought this might be good to share. If anyone is putting a US 80 series radiator in a 81, the oem lower radiator hose won't work. The OEM hose tapers down on the radiator side. Whats needed is a 13 inch coolant hose with a 42mm ID on both sides. Pretty surprised to find EXACTLY what I needed without a whole lot of effort. Its a mercedes hose, part number 900271-042012. Got it at MTC 900271-042012 Coolant Hose; Bypass Hose to Thermostat Housing; 42mm ID; 13 Inch Length Trim To Fit - Mercedes | 6020 900271042007 V8BYPASS W01331619364

Oh and of course the OEM radiator clamp for the radiator end is too small as well, so you might want to pick up another engine-side clamp if you're the OCD type. This was for a Koyorad C1917 Radiator.

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 7.31.41 AM.png

Thought this might be good to share. If anyone is putting a US 80 series radiator in a 81, the oem lower radiator hose won't work. The OEM hose tapers down on the radiator side. Whats needed is a 13 inch coolant hose with a 42mm ID on both sides. Pretty surprised to find EXACTLY what I needed without a whole lot of effort. Its a mercedes hose, part number 900271-042012. Got it at MTC 900271-042012 Coolant Hose; Bypass Hose to Thermostat Housing; 42mm ID; 13 Inch Length Trim To Fit - Mercedes | 6020 900271042007 V8BYPASS W01331619364

Oh and of course the OEM radiator clamp for the radiator end is too small as well, so you might want to pick up another engine-side clamp if you're the OCD type. This was for a Koyorad C1917 Radiator.

View attachment 2321562
I wanted to weigh in on this post. I appreciate the info and the heads up very much. Am about to drop in an fj80 rad into an hdj81 and am glad to hear about this requirement ahead of time.

Only thing I need to say regarding this hose, is that I called Mercedes this morning and was quoted $291.30CAD for it. That is by my math $22.40CAD per inch.

Using used rads as most of us are reaching into parts fj80s, I found it basically insane to hear of a nearly three hundred dollar hose and it wasn’t worth calling them about it.

The 42mm ID is .7mm over 1 5/8”. It is a soft line rad hose and as such should still fit if one goes 1 5/8”.

Hoping the 3FE rad is a direct swap, North American or otherwise.

Last edited:

View attachment 2321562
Is this NA 80 series rad the Fj or fzj? Thanks

Last edited:
@Osoraku This is the radiator I ordered. amazon.com/gp/product/B00PW2QSD4

I didn't pay anywhere near that much for the hose. Also it looks like the radiator is quite a bit more expensive. Hopefully you can shop around for a better price and its not just the state of the world right now.

I wanted to weigh in on this post. I appreciate the info and the heads up very much. Am about to drop in an fj80 rad into an hdj81 and am glad to hear about this requirement ahead of time.

Only thing I need to say regarding this hose, is that I called Mercedes this morning and was quoted $291.30CAD for it. That is by my math $22.40CAD per inch.

Using used rads as most of us are reaching into parts fj80s, I found it basically insane to hear of a nearly three hundred dollar hose and it wasn’t worth calling them about it.

The 42mm ID is .7mm over 1 5/8”. It is a soft line rad hose and as such should still fit if one goes 1 5/8”.

Hoping the 3FE rad is a direct swap, North American or otherwise.
Just curious, did you end up with an FZJ80 rad? I have used OEM 91-92 FJ80 rads in all my 1HD-T and 1HD-FT swaps and have never run into the lower rad hose issue.

Just curious, did you end up with an FZJ80 rad? I have used OEM 91-92 FJ80 rads in all my 1HD-T and 1HD-FT swaps and have never run into the lower rad hose issue.
Hi 70sguy,
I had an NA fj80 rad and went with it. No hose problems. Exact fit as you mentioned earlier. That was a helpful post back there. Thanks very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom