Scraping noise from behind steering wheel? Could be steering angle sensor...DIY fix. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tried lubricant but it didn't work. Clock spring can make noise before failure.
I have a similar noise on my LC since - lubricated with spray every few years, usually creeps up up in weather change/cold weather. It is back, so sprayed some silicone lubricant inside (with straw) and it is much better. Don't have a steering angle sensor. The spray is a temporary solution, one of these days I might get around to it . . . Bought at 60k in 2003 now 290k :rolleyes:
On second thought, since it is one of the few 'defects' found on the vehicle when purchased, I will just consider it "character".

Credit to vishmuzty for tracking down the issue on a VSC vehicle!

@vishmuzty -

Thanks for the great write up, I'm experiencing the identical issue, was excited to see this in the search results. Wanted to ask - do you think that adding fresh grease/lube could fix the problem alone? Always trying to find the shortcut here...

Did fresh grease/lube fix your noise problem? I have the same issue and about to do the tear down to access... Also, I have never put in fresh grease and wondering if there are any components near there that I could damage by overdoing it?

I finally got the time to do a thorough tear down. The clock spring was not the noise. It is the same white plastic piece near the sensing ring as the OP. I followed his instructions to the point where it was pried open with toothpicks. However, I packed white lithium grease inside in lieu of using a torch. The sound is completely gone.

I just replaced the clock spring on my 2004 GX470 before reviewing this thread (which wasn't cheap)...problem seemed to have been resolved....however after a few weeks, the damn noise has returned....more noticeable when the vehicle is cold and turns left.

does the group think that packing lithium grease as noted above will fix this for good? my mechanic was very reluctant to further tear down the column to fix this non-emergency issue.

thanks!

I'm curious if there is any chance of the grease interfering with the reading of the sensor ring?

The grease resolved a good portion of my noise. It still makes a very slight sound when cold at a particular angle but it is infinitely better than the video I posted earlier. You should not go crazy with the grease. I do not know if the sensing ring is an optical encoder or a hall effect sensor. If it is the latter I doubt the grease would matter.

I added grease this week too. I think it has resolved my problem, but the weather started warming up so I don't want to say it resolved it completely.

Here are some pictures of the teardown, wheel still on but airbag removed:

td1.jpg

Wheel removed (I think the white stuff is evidence of my first failed attempt of spraying in the access port with white lithium grease):

td2.jpg

Clam shell breakdown:

td3.jpg

With clam shell removed:

td4.jpg

Clock spring removed and sensor off (there is no reason to remove the sensor, I was just having a look around):

td5.jpg

My grease application (it's a bit hard to see, it's the white lithium grease between the white plastic piece and brown spacer of the sensor ring):

td6.jpg

td7.jpg

td8.jpg

I used a very thin plastic toothpick to try and put the grease only between the white plastic piece and the metal sensor ring's brown spacer. I didn't want any excess to end up in places it shouldn't be, and I especially didn't want interference with the sensor.

So far I would call it a success. The next morning was in the 40's and I think I would have heard the sound if it had not been remedied, but it has been 55+ since that morning so I can't say for sure if my noise has been cured.

I have an 02 Land Cruiser that makes a scraping noise when turning the wheel. Does anyone know if my truck has this issue the OP stated or what others have referred to as a Clock Spring noise. Thx, Mark
There's not really much else that sounds quite the same and under similar circumstances, so probably maybe??? Does it happen more when cold?

Did you buy the vehicle with the sound already happening or did it just one day start and was constant? Can you get a video recording of the sound?
I bought the vehicle with the noise, so had if from day one. Yes I could do a video. I think you could hear it.

I just completed the same thing this weekend on my 06 LX and it worked great. I did use a little bit of heat to move the white plastic piece closer to the brown ring. Just be cautious when applying pressure. Lastly, when everything is back together I took it for a quick spin to get the blinking VGRS light to go off after the system re-learned itself.

Hello all, new member here resurrecting this thread as I have a strange problem related to the parts in this thread and wondered if anyone may be able to help.
The story so far on my 1999 100 series, I recently changed the complete Indicator/Wiper unit as the dog chewed the two levers each side, still worked fine but looked and felt horrible.
I got a good used part and fitted it and then took for a drive, this is when the problems started! When driving with the Indicator stalk in the neutral position, turning the steering wheel left or right would make the indicator for that side flash rapidly, if I used the indicator and then turned the Steering wheel, all indicators would light as if hazards are on! I put the old Unit back on and still the same faults.
At a standstill, turning the steering wheel each way makes the indicators flash and seems to correspond with the Steering wheel position sensor windows.
After lots of messing about, I have now unplugged the steering wheel position sensor and indicators work fine now, anyone have any ideas what's happening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom