San Juan trip 2022 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry guys. About to burn up all my white gas tomorrow night.
:cheers:
Plus my gf doesn't have the time off.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to get my time off this year for this trip. Very bummed about it. I know Chad Johnston wants to meet up again this year and do some wheeling. I'll let him know people are heading down. If I can swing it, I may try and make it down for a day or two...

I wasn't able to get my time off this year for this trip. Very bummed about it. I know Chad Johnston wants to meet up again this year and do some wheeling. I'll let him know people are heading down. If I can swing it, I may try and make it down for a day or two...
I want to finish Stony Pass this time. lol

I have never done it. So I guess I will try it. Unless this “Wall” is going to ruin my 40.

So just a heads up on Poughkeepsie. The Wall was giving everyone a hard time this year, the rain has really washed it out. The triple locked 80s had to even take the same line as the 60s. I got a couple good videos I can share. Stay right and aim high so you don't slide towards the main drain down the center of it.

Here Zack tried to straddle the drain.

Here is the line everyone had to take. The "high right"

Remember once you get to the top of the loose rock climb you can bypass The Wall by going straight. If you go right, anything that happens afterwards is consensual :princess:

I have looked around and do not see a schedule or itinerary of roads (trails) that this trip entails. other than "San Juan trip". Can you put out some specifics please? Is it 1 long series of trails? Does it have a fuel stop in the middle? Camping every night or Glamping with trails in the day? Thanks

glamping for me. I have no way to carry gas in or on my 40
Base camp in Silverton. All the trails are within 30 miles of camp

Last year we camped north of Silverton and kind of had a base. Can’t remember the name of the spot. We decided on trails usually the night before. We would gas up in town on the way back to camp in the evening. Worked out pretty well. I am not familiar with the area, but we had a couple of people that did.
I plan on being at the camp ground around 5 on Tuesday. Maybe earlier if I can.
Here is my number for anyone interested. 303-995-6491.

The camp ground we always stay in is Golden Horn Campground. It is pretty large and can accommodate MANY rigs. It's usually very busy one the weekends but not too bad during the week. Here is the link to the campground on google maps.

I will probably bring the pop up camper. It looks like it's going to be just me in there so if someone wants to bunk up, you are more than welcome. Be warned I'm a bit of night owl and have been known to snore, lol.

Like always I'm sure that I will bring enough food to feed everybody probably all the meals. I know I am brining a BIG (sharable) "steak" and a half rack of ribs, probably some smoked chicken. I will work on dialing in some meals and trails tonight.

I would like to do Stony Pass and Bear Town aka Kite Lake returning on Cinnamon but that is going to make for a very long day. I would like to do Yankee Boy, Governor, and Sydney Basins one day, as they are just soo dang pretty. I have not done Last Dollar Rd yet and would like to but again that makes for a pretty long day. Also spending a bit of time kicking around Telluride would be cool as I have never done more that drive through from one pass to the other.

Any suggestions are welcome, I am not stuck on anything.

Thanks for posting the campground. I never had time.
I will be bringing some smoked meats also. Not too much, because I know you bring a bunch. I have some pork shoulder and some tri-tip.

Wish I could make this trip. Did solid axle summit this year but only had 2 days to cover trails. It was amazing nonetheless. Unfortunately I’m back to work after 3 month hiatus. Have fun!
1F35D1E6-C64B-427E-A57D-FCBA2E0009F5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom