Running winch on spare battery......how long will it last? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dilemma;

Samurai [ not much room inside ]
Ramsey 9500 winch. Want to be able to use it as a receiver mounted winch, front and rear.
Why receiver mounted?
When as a DD, winch stays at home, when hunting / exploring, winch is part of my kit. It's just me and the wife or me and a buddy in the zuk, no other vehicles.

Do I use long 2/0 welding cables [ yes, 2/0 cables, it draws 405 amps ] to reach the winch when on or rear? That's a $350 project.
Or, do I have a spare battery in the back of the samurai, and run the winch from it, on it's oem Ramsey cables.

If I run the winch directly off a fully charged deep cycle battery, how much winching time will I have?
I could run some wires from the alt, through the firewall, to the battery in the back for recharging. Bit of a PITA though.

Thoughts?

You'll kill your batteries to a point they won't hold a charge. That will be the most expensive method.

Charging a second gets complicated and takes up space that's valuable in a zuk, especially if it's for a winch that might get used occasionally at best.

That winch is massive for your rig. My advice is sell the winch, buy a smaller one and with the extra cash buy proper cable to run to the rear. Shop around for best prices. Who knows, with a smaller winch you might not need as big of cable only giving more savings and less weight.

Well, on other 4 x 4 sites, the consensus seems to be an 8000lb winch for fully laden samurais at minimum. Little difference in weight between this Ramsey and an 8000lb Warn or Ramsey.
I considered a 6000lb winch, but most of them are based upon their smaller 4000-4500 units, with lower gearing.......so slower in use.

A good deal came up on this Ramsey, so I went for it.

I have the same set up your wanting to do. I had a spare set of cables that were 0awg so i used those attatched with anderson cables. I see on amazon you can get the cables for 40-60. if you were to price out the cable by foot your normally looking at 350ish a foot. You also dont need 2/0 cables your so light your winch isnt going to be working to the max so I bet a 4/0 or 6/0 cable would be more than enough for short pulls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom