Events/Trails Run? Jan 4th? Cleghorn? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all....I thinking about heading to Cleghorn again January 4th. This assumes Leon doesn't "break my rig" at Bronco Peak this Saturday.

I hear the trail has mud and snow. It may be a lot of fun or a complete "slip n slide". I won't go alone. I think 3 or 4 rigs would keep it safe. Preferably one with a winch! I am still running without.

Any interest?

Mike

I'm hearing reports of carnage from today's trail run, this one might be on hold!

I'm interested in going somewhere but prob an overnight somewhere.

Ohhh I can't spoil the fun. Can't believe pics aren't overflowing yet 😎

Maybe the fake beards and mustaches are being applied? Hope all persons are safe and rigs made it back in some fashion. Sounds like there could have been a couple of 'Hold my beer and watch this' moments. The pic of the gas prices scared me enough.

Pics to come on the other thread later. I’m too tired to work on it now.

If I can get my truck back together in time.... we’ll go. However, it is unlikely.

And yes....CARNAGE did happen!

There’s no way I can get my rig back together for this weekend. Sorry guys.

I should be up and running with a couple of weeks. For now, I’m 2 wheel drive 🥴.

I should be up and running with a couple of weeks. For now, I’m 2 wheel drive 🥴.
Are you in any need of help?

Just a recommendation....I know we like to stick with OEM stuff, but in the case of CV's if you are going to be wheeling it I would get TWO of the NAPA ones with a lifetime warranty and install those, keeping your OEM one as a spare. You'll have to do some swapping after you get the broken one replaced because you'll always want to have the NAPA CVs installed, but not only will this get you home it will keep you wheeling. Know what I mean?

Just a recommendation....I know we like to stick with OEM stuff, but in the case of CV's if you are going to be wheeling it I would get TWO of the NAPA ones with a lifetime warranty and install those, keeping your OEM one as a spare. You'll have to do some swapping after you get the broken one replaced because you'll always want to have the NAPA CVs installed, but not only will this get you home it will keep you wheeling. Know what I mean?
I'd offer a differing opinion. OEM Yota CVs are stronger than anything aftermarket, something about the number of bearings and the joints. IMO if you want a spare, get a used OEM CV pulled from a wrecked vehicle. A lifetime warranty is one thing, but having it break on the trail and having to replace over and over is another.

I'd offer a differing opinion. OEM Yota CVs are stronger than anything aftermarket, something about the number of bearings and the joints. IMO if you want a spare, get a used OEM CV pulled from a wrecked vehicle. A lifetime warranty is one thing, but having it break on the trail and having to replace over and over is another.

Replacing stuff is half the fun! Well, maybe a quarter of the fun, possibly even down to a 16th but definitely more than a 32nd. After breaking my first CV on my 4Runner I went the NAPA route. I broke a total of 3 more CVs before I sold it. Can those breaks be attributed to them being aftermarket? I don't know, but broken CVs are common on the trail and the price can add up. I'm thinking the likelihood of future breakage with OEM or aftermarket is high, even more so since his front is lockable. OEM CVs are stronger and the boots seem to last longer too. I would think you can find/pull a used one for a reasonable price. Regardless of the route you take, just make sure you have a spare!

After thinking about it, I changed my mind. SAS that bad boy!!!

I'm going to fix it....probably OEM parts. Then start looking for an 80.....Can never have too many land cruisers!
I tried aftermarket CV's once. I had a horrible shimmy after 40mph. So we pulled them back out and repacked and re-booted the OEM. Shimmy gone.

I'll keep the 100 for a family hauler to the snow, camping and longer road trips. The 80 will come with pre-made dents. That way I don't cry when I bash my quarter panels!

If any of you have ever driven a 2 wheel drive 100......it drives so nice. Feels nimble, quick and dare I say it......sporty! The MPG's went up also by at least 2mpg. I may do the 2 wheel drive conversion too.

It's my plan to try and get the parts here next week and work on it next weekend. I'm going to do new CV's, Wheel Bearings, Rotors and pads.

Mike

Otherwise build a real buggy!

$22,500 may be a tiny bit high for a toy. Man.....I must be crazy. I already have 5 cars and thinking about another.

Anyone in the market for a 1990 Corvette convertible?
IMG_1521.JPG

$22,500 may be a tiny bit high for a toy. Man.....I must be crazy. I already have 5 cars and thinking about another.

Anyone in the market for a 1990 Corvette convertible? View attachment 2172452
Yeah but you'll buy a beater and put another 10k into it to make it a rock crawler anyway so why stop there! Plus, the latter approach unfortunately doesn't yield a truck worth that much in the end. If you like running trails like those and Rubicon type stuff I hate to say it but there are probably better (more narrow) platforms 😬. Blasphemy!! 😜

Suzuki Samurai? 😎

1994 Suzuki Samurai

Thanks for the suggestions. However, after driving a Land Cruiser, it may be really tough to jump in anything else. Besides, I think the club bylaws say you have to have a Toyota 4x4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom