RTT Clamshell Tent Maker - Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so I've built my own RTT, a facsimile of the aluminum Campteq and need the fabric portion made. I REALLY don't want to learn a new skill and spend hours and hours and many mistakes in cutting, sewing, gluing, whatever it is that tent-makers do. (Camping tents, not the Christian kind of tentmaking). I'd like to source this out to someone but I really have no clue where to begin to find someone with the skills to do this. A seamstress? An upholsterer? Big Top Circus tent rental place? I have a rough idea of design, but would rather leave it to the pros. I'm based in PA but wouldn't mind driving several hundred miles to get it done right.

Any suggestions?

20200923_171222.jpg

A seamstress? An upholsterer? I think would be the right track. Around here I would probably hit some of the river boat companies that make canvas and like wise stuff.

I’d take it to auto upholstery shop. It looks hard with no experience, but realistically it’s 2 triangles and 1 rectangle. It looks like you did a great job on the box.

I agree, it shouldn't be too bad. I can still take it off and drop it off at a place and leave it for like a week. I'll try and get in contact with an auto upholsterer today and see what they say.

OK, so I've built my own RTT, a facsimile of the aluminum Campteq and need the fabric portion made. I REALLY don't want to learn a new skill and spend hours and hours and many mistakes in cutting, sewing, gluing, whatever it is that tent-makers do. (Camping tents, not the Christian kind of tentmaking). I'd like to source this out to someone but I really have no clue where to begin to find someone with the skills to do this. A seamstress? An upholsterer? Big Top Circus tent rental place? I have a rough idea of design, but would rather leave it to the pros. I'm based in PA but wouldn't mind driving several hundred miles to get it done right.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 2566672
NICE! Do you have any raft manufactures nearby, by any chance? Might be a good place to start. There is a guy local to us who makes geodesic domes for raves (or whatever the kids call them these days), etc who I have talked with about fabric related items before. Good luck though, seamstering has been one of our biggest challenges with products. It's tough to get small run/one off things done.

A place that does enclosures for large pleasure boats/yachts would be a real good place I think. Flybridge enclosures etc.

I would give it a shot yourself. Anyone who just made that can cut three pieces of fabric. Weld some offsets to your aluminum and rivet buttons to the offsets. Put the other side of the button on fabric and button to the top and bottom so it can be removed and cleaned if needed. You only have to sew two seams, 1 will have a zipper on it. Cut a hole where you want the screens to be and sew in a screen once you get everything dialed in.

No raft manufacturers that I can see with a quick google. It looks like theres a few boat canvas makers/suppliers whatever around the philly, NY area that could be a prime opportunity. Thanks guys. I'll update if I find someone willing to do the job. Updated pic with the top closed and painted black
20201216_171028.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom