RTH engine turns but does not start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need help with a Land Cruiser 80 whose engine turns but does not start.

It all started after I've installed a heavy cable, running from the battery to the rear of the car.
I've disconnected all the connections from the positive side of the battery and I ran the cable around the engine bay, through the firewall on the passenger side, in parallel to the original electric loom.
After that, I've tried to fire up the car, without success.
I've disconnected the heavy cable and tried several times again.
In order to reset the computer, I've disconnected everything from the battery, waited for 30 minutes, and connect them all back.
The engine turns but does not start.

I suspect the problem is that at one time I've connected the cables to the battery while the ignition key was at the ON position.
I also suspected that I've hurt the original loom while shoving my heavy cable in the firewall, but I see no physical damage.

After that, I followed the procedure published here on the forum. It turns out that the socket for the fuel solenoid does not get 12V while the ignition key was at the ON position.
I connected a wire from the battery to terminal #3 in the socket, the fuel pump started to work, and the engine started.
I've replaced all the fuses, checked all the solenoids in the engine bay and near the driver's leg. I've also changed the fusible links.

My question is – is it a faulty car computer?
How can I check it?

Last edited:
With the key in the RUN position, do you have a CEL?

Yes, it lights constantly.
When I connected terminals TE1 and T1 in the OBD, it flashes twice every second, so no error code.

To close the issue, it was found that there used to be an immobilizer next to the fuel solenoid resistor.
The immobilizer was removed in the past and the wires were connected using insulation tape...
When I installed the heavy-duty cable, I must have pushed the tape off, and the wires touched the body.
This causes the fuel solenoid to remain open and the engine not to receive fuel.
The wires were soldered and covered with a heat shrinking tube.
Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom