Builds ROTW White Shark's White Shark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Who did your engine conversion-It looks very well done. If you work out the diesel thing, and get the swap through the smog police, would you let me know? Nice truck.

Shark,

I usually don't care much for white vehicles (yes I own one :flipoff2: ), but your 80 looks pretty sweet. Inside and out!

Thanks for sharing.

Mot

loquito said:
your rig is nice and so far the most differant :D
So were you saying earlyer that you got 10 mpg out of the old engine and 15 mpg out of the sbc? I got just the opposite 10mpg with the small block ford bronco and around fifteen with the Toyo.

10 with the setup as is, sans rack & 3FE
15 with the setup as is, sans rack & 350tbi
All highway miles

In town with the same setup & no rack,
10 with the 3FE
12 with the 350.

LX_TREME said:
You not the only one :D Nice 350 :) by the way, are those Nology plug wires? How big .mm? Can you tell any different more power or just the same?

I use 8mm wires as the performance from the 8.5mm wires is not a huge improvement for the $. I currently have blue 8mm MSD Heli-Coil wires in the truck.

DigitalKnight86 said:
Hey Shark,

In your opinion, Do you think an LS1 engine can be swapped in? I've got a 92, I'm considering the option if its possible.

Alan Podvin swapped a LS1 into a 91 with the adapter on the stock A440F and hated it. The LS1 is a high rev engine, whereas the A440F is a lov rev transmission. IIRC, he couldn't get the shift points to work right. He dumped the A440F and put in a 4L80E or 4L60E, I can't remember which. He liked it after that, but got bored and built a few other trucks including his famous 100 series chopped back rig.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably stick in the 4L60E or a 700R4 in instead if using the adapter. The adapter is close to $1000, about the same price as a nice transmission. It would be nice to have the 5th gear overdrive and the lighter weight would likely improve gas mileage.

baxter650 said:
Very cool Shark. How much room do you have between the rad and the water pump/fan pulley? Could you have used an engine fan and shrowd?

The 350 is shorter than the I-6, and the mechanical fan is gone, so I have 4-5 inches dependent on where you measure. I could have used a mechanical fan, but having plenty of electricity available allows me to drop the mechanical fan to pick up some horsepower.
radiator 003.jpg

Last edited:
semlin said:
nice rig white shark. not sure I cvould get used to the frying pan in a toyota but the install looks very clean. how does the v8 match up against a 1fz?

also, I ditto wulf man's comment on the chain. are you planning on mooring your boat with it?

The 350 has around 300hp compared to 212hp in the 1FE-FE. The 350 sounds cool, but it is also noisier and rougher than the smooth inline 6.

I use the chain to pull ag equipment around, as well as towing around large diameter logs in preparation for sawing and milling. Chain works well for pulling out stumps and brush also. If my tow straps break, I can use the chain as a backup option. The chain can also be used with the Rescue 42 JackMate and the 60" HiLift to recovery vehicles without using the winch. Everyone should have at least 50-60 ft of 3/8" chain, Grade 60 or better. It's great stuff.

http://www.rescue42.com/pull.htm

pull.h2a.jpg

pull.h4a.jpg

postpuller.jpg

pull.h3.jpg

pull.h5.jpg

DRTDuck said:
How do you like the "Pizza Cutter mud terrains siped 33 x 9.5"?

There was a recent thread comparing these to 285/75s. Your thoughts?

The siped 33 x 9.5's MT's work almost as well as the 34x 10.5 LTB Swampers off road and 100x's better on road. The sipping make the tires sound like you're peeling off Saran Wrap when you are driving down the road. The sipes allow the tires to run much cooler and they grip way better, especially on wet / snowy roads.

The pizza cutters work great in everything except mud. IH8Mud anyway and try to avoid it, so it's no big deal. I'll probably put sipped 35 x 10.5's MTs on the truck soon. The 10.5's seems to hold the weight better as 9.5 is pretty narrow for a heay truck.

Cruiserdrew said:
Who did your engine conversion-It looks very well done. If you work out the diesel thing, and get the swap through the smog police, would you let me know? Nice truck.

Ron Christie at ABOFA 4x4 Shop (A Breath Of Fresh Air). He's a Landcruiser guru in Concord, Ca.

He doesn't do diesels though, so I'm going to do the 6.5td swap myself.

The 6.5td will drop into the same engine mounts and tranny adapter. I'll have to source a vacuum pump for the brakes (I'll go electric so there is no fade with low RPM's), as well as the diesel fuel lines and diesel tank to comply with the Kalifornia smog demons.

What was done to the motor to reach 300hp? IIRC, the stock 350tbi has 210ish HP.

What was used to mate the 350's air cleaner to the 80's intake?

reffug said:
Shark nice rig. :cheers:

Minister of 80's division Propoganda and Subterfuge Stamp Of Approval given. :D

How bout some action shots of the John Deere track tractor for my little boy. :cool:

Those things freakin rock. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

For Reffug's Kid. ;)

tracks_working_296.jpg

case9300.jpg

case_stx.jpg

agtracks.jpg

stx500.gif

http://www.binkleyhurst.com/Toys/1_64th_toys.htm
You can even get them in 1/64 scale. $9.95 :D
14457a2.jpg

$10.95
15223.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds exactly the 350 I have in my rockcrawler. Mine is a 95 350tbi and has ramshorm manifolds plus I dropped the mechanical fan for a dual SPAL setup, MSD ignition and wires. I never had it dynoed. It works great as it has gobs of low end torque and plenty of HP to quickly turn the 38" tires on the road.

I would love to swap a SBC into my FZJ80. One day.

very nice rig. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's considering a diesel conversion to run biodiesel. Keep us updated on the diesel swap and making of biodiesel.

WS, what brand of dual fan did you go with? Sweet rig man!

Very cool, very different!!!

Let's see was that worded for rig or owner???

Both of course!!! :D :flipoff2: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom