Rooftop smittybilt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2783_Overlander_04.jpg

Anyone had any eyeballs or hands on one of these? Def cgeaper cost but are they too much cheaply manufactured? I would lime to possibly mount the XL on my 80. I know it would take the whole prinsu rack, but the space might be awesome

I just bought the base model with the same dimensions when closed. I'm on the fence. My suitcase trailer measures 68" x 39". That's a 4" overhang on all 4 sides. I have a deposit down on a JB Horizon Vision RTT. With its dimensions there will only be a 2" overhang on the sides. Tent dimensions are 59x43.

My biggest internal debate on whether or not to keep the Smittybilt and get the James Baroud: the Smittybilt- with the 4in overhang, rocks getting kicked up from trailer tires might damage the cover. Rain fly slapping around in the wind. Lack of confidence in Velcro over time with frequent use. Taking tent down by myself in a "bug out" situation. 1yr Warranty..

I unboxed the 2783 tent, opened it up and gave it a real quick inspection. Chinese quality "taped seems" looks like scotch tape and hit with a heat gun. Which I'm assuming is what taped seems are but still looks like they used cheap scotch tape. I honestly can't remember if it has the advertised sunroof or the zipper for the annex and if it doesn't 4wheelparts parts will be kindly notified. 1st impression, not terribly bad. Small pin holes in the corners as others have identified in their more in-depth removes. It actually fits on the suitcase trailer fairly ok. Zero overhang on the front and aft end as previously assumed based off advertised dimensions so I'm going to pull out the tape measure tomorrow to get the real numbers. I don't think the hinges on the suitcase will hold the weight of the tent if opened so I might have to pull an audible and get a custom box made (which I'm not against). I'll take pictures tomorrow. (I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment,Too lazy to go back downstairs)

OK so here it goes! I'll keep it short. I'm not keeping whatever this tent is 4wheelparts sent me. Some things might be nitpicking but it is what it is. And nowhere on the tent does it say Smittybilt.

Picture 1: Exposed mattress. I don't know if every other RTT has an exposed mattress but I didn't like it.
KIMG1091_zpsiqqgmtql.jpg

Picture 2: Storage straps go over cover Velcro. Velcro used to secure the cover. No Velcro on storage straps. Cover not 100% sealed from water and dust. If Water intrusion happens at these areas there is a good possibility the mattress will get wet if no midigation is used.
KIMG1094_zpstmbkppci.jpg

KIMG1096_zpsfkq2njuw.jpg

Picture 3: Black Nuts on hinge bolts not tight. Nuts Potentially could come loose get lost if not inspected.
KIMG1092_zps27guervq.jpg

Picture 4: Smittybilt 2783 RTT advertised sunroof.. There is no sunroof.
KIMG1093_zpsjxohhwrp.jpg

2783_Overlander_06.jpg

In short, I'm selling it and getting the James Baroud Horizon Vision.

Damnit, is there a date on the tent box. There were changes made to their tents, according to the guy at Smitty that I talked to. Maybe 4wheelparts had this one in old stock. Changes were made sometime in 16’

Too much stuff to go dumpster diving but I'm pretty sure it said Jan2017 the box. It also looks like the 10yr old Chinese kid who assembled it used the cheapest scotch tape and a hair dryer for the "taped seems" in some places

He's the update. I emailed 4wheelparts and they were stumped so they forwarded the pictures to Smittybilt. Not even Smittybilt knew what tent it is. (My guess, lots of RTTs with different manufacturers names are made at the same facility, in China. Someone slacked off and probably boxed up the wrong tent). Smittybilt offered to replace it for the correct 2783 model I originally paid for. After going back and forth I decided to exchange it. I'm still waiting to hear back from them with details. Since I no longer have the box the tent I received came in I'm hoping I'll be able to receive the replacement and ship the imposter back in new RTTs box. I also plan on getting the James Baroud Horizon Vision. I'll try them both out to determine ultimately which one I like most and will either return or sell the one I don't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom