Rodney Flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wfmarion.com
I dont know what my problem is, but I cannot seem to find the exact steps to completeing the RF to my 62. Can anyone send me a link or fill me in on how to do this. My trans bit the dust after a broken line was replacee and refilled with new fluid. After some reading this seems to be teh next thing to do. It ill not go anywhere currently. Thanks to all!!:cheers:

-Frankie

I would get the tranny working before I wasted $50 worth of ATF to flush it. Make sure the level of fluid is correct and it should go. My guess is that it doesn't have enough fluid in it now, or else you are really screwed and the tranny is dead..

Once it runs and generates pressure, then you can flush it.

I disconnected the ATF fitting at the passenger side of the radiator, and the fluid flows out under pressure from the radiator fitting. Then a short piece of hose can direct the flow into a bucket. Measure the flow rate at 2000 RPM-it should be 1 gallon per minute or so.

Hope you can get it going.

Last edited:
I disconnected the ATF fitting at the passenger side of the radiator, and the fluid flows out under pressure from the radiator fitting. Then a short piece of hose can direct the flow into a bucket. .

x2 on that (and all of it really...)

I separate the line at radiator too; it's the handiest place. I also have a short length of spare hard line that joins to the soft line there with a length of clear tubing, through which I pump the new fluid. A lot faster and neater than pouring it down the dipstick tube.

Thanks for the help. Here's how it all went down. I cracked one of the supply lines coming from the radiator a while back and have not had time to replace it. It had a slow leak and i tried to drive it home but it ran out of fluid, That might win the dumbass award I know. I towed it back to my house in N and it has sat for 6 months. I took it to a buddys shop and he fixed the line and refilled the tranny with fluid and it ran fine coming home from the shop. It was shuddering very bad in first but once it was warm it got better. The next day the truck would not move in any forward gear, reverse is still strong as ever. I figured it was shot but once I started reading on here is saw some shimmering hope. I do realize it may be dead but was hopeing one of these fixes might work. Any thoughts? I greatly appreciate your guys help on this!!!

-Frankie

You still don't know if it has enough fluid. Go through the proceedure of running truck, shift through all the gears, leave it running in park, and check the level. Add up to the cold mark. You might get lucky and it's just a few quarts low. If you find it works after filling to the line (don't rely on a 6 month old filled by a buddy at his shop routine..) then do a tranny service-pull the pan, clean the screen and magnet, and then do the Rodney flush.

If the tranny is full and still won't drive the truck, then it is dead and you need a tranny. Try and find a working one being pulled for a manual tranny swap.

You still don't know if it has enough fluid. Go through the proceedure of running truck, shift through all the gears, leave it running in park, and check the level. Add up to the cold mark. You might get lucky and it's just a few quarts low. If you find it works after filling to the line (don't rely on a 6 month old filled by a buddy at his shop routine..) then do a tranny service-pull the pan, clean the screen and magnet, and then do the Rodney flush.

If the tranny is full and still won't drive the truck, then it is dead and you need a tranny. Try and find a working one being pulled for a manual tranny swap.

I agree with everything Cruiserdrew has said (he offers a lot of useful help) except that I would be hesitant about dropping the pan and cleaning out the filter/pan unless for good reason you think it may be clogged. Yours may in fact need a filter cleaning/change..I don't know if running it out of fluid would increase the chances of leaving large deposits on the filter or not. But it seems like that could be logical scenario.

But in my case, immediately after I did the pan/filter service on my transmission, it started slipping when cold. Fluid level is correct etc etc. My transmission has been over heated a few times and has seen a hard life, and I was trying to extend whatever life's left in it by changing the filter out, but it looks like it made it worse and I may have cleaned out some of the material that was helping it shift. Also, my filter was not clogged at all and looked fine.

Just something to think about. I would definitely do a Rodney passive flush though and make sure the fluid level is correct!

I will check on the morning. I m guessing I do the flush and then the service?? I really appreciate your help and will let you know what happens in teh am. How hard is it to do teh manual 4spd swap?

-Frankie

I will check on the morning. I m guessing I do the flush and then the service?? I really appreciate your help and will let you know what happens in teh am. How hard is it to do teh manual 4spd swap?

-Frankie
The 4 speed swap is incredibility easy and much cheaper than the 5 speed conversion.

I was about to do the swap then I bought a mini. You may even get easy(chances are high) that all the bolt holes are already on your 62 frame for the crossmember and such. There is plenty of write-ups on the subject.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom