Events/Trails Road trip suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did East TN to Durango, Colorado, to Silverton/Ouray, to Montrose, to Moab via Rim Rocker Trail, to Bryce Canyon via I-70/24/12, to Vegas, to Hoover Dam, to North Rim, and home during the last week of May, with 4 of my kids. We went back and forth on taking the homebuilt trailer with a roof top tent, but in the end decided not to as it would give us more versatility on the Rim Rocker and in Moab, and packing it up every day is a pain. So we took a couple of pop ups and a couple swags, and I slept on a foam mattress in the 200. 8 day trip, 4950 miles. Covered a ton of ground, saw amazing things, so much so that by the time we got to the grand canyon, the kids and I were like, "huh, that cool", and kept going. In retrospect, when I do it again, I'd like to go slower and not be tired the whole trip. At that time, many CO restaurants were closed, and if we'd wanted to stay in a hotel, it was closed. UT was open for business, which was good because we showed up in Moab exhausted and decided to spend some Hilton points at the local resort and spent the afternoon swimming in the pool. Half of what we wanted to do was closed either for Covid or snow, but was still a trip we'll never forget. Even stumbled across parts of the Trans-America Trail, which is in the spirit of how this trip was conceived 2 years ago when we started doing it in segments. If you have any specific questions about how we handled different aspects of the trip, shoot me a message.

To answer your question, I'd do the trip again in Sept if it didn't interfere with my kids schooling - it was that much fun.

To the original author of this thread, sorry for hijacking your thread if this got away from the original intent.
Thanks! Curious if you met up with any of the locals / in town adventurers to trail ride together? Or solo?

Thanks! Curious if you met up with any of the locals / in town adventurers to trail ride together? Or solo?
I reached out to the local chapter heads of the TLCA, and they were super helpful about suggesting what to do. Their contact info is in the back of the magazine. With 4 kids between 8 and 19 on the trip, we weren’t the typical group. If I had more time, slowing down and doing a group trip would have been a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom