Rhino rack sx mounts and size for 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much taller are the aero bars above the factory side rails? Looks like maybe an inch and a half?

thanks!
The RR Vortex bars sit about an inch and a half, but they sit inside the pioneer rack itself, so the rack is sits exactly an inch above the stock rails. My garage door is 81"s high and I still have room to spare on stock suspension and tires.

Looks like a great setup that takes advantage of the stock rack. I like it. Please let us know how you like it after some driving time. I'm most interested to hear about wind noise.

As much as I loved having a lightbar on the rack, it was just too noisy, and I want to avoid that issue if I go in this direction.
So wind noise...

I live in SE Illinois. The weather is unpredictable, and windy. I drove around today in the area in stop and go traffic around30-40 MPH as well as roughly 10 miles of highway up to 75mph. It was sunny and about 65 degrees and it was a very windy day; avg with gusts up to 30mph here along the Mississippi river outside of STL.

I say all that for the understanding that, as we all likely know, wind noise is variable, like tire noise. That said, given the above conditions, I'd rate the noise as more than likely a GOBI or Prinsu, but less than a rack with a Yakima basket or cargo box on top. I've had GOBI racks on Wrangler JKs and on 4runners, so I am not new to the noise that comes with them depending on the conditions. I'd say that the noise was very loud and the vehicle handling was a little "sportier" in cross winds going North/South. Driving into the wind (west in my case), the noise was loudest but again, 30mph wind gusts and no wind fairing (yet) so..... Going east at 75mph, the noise barely appreciable above the stock crossbars in those conditions. It was all wind gust noise really....no whistling or howling, or roof rack rattle.

All told, I am satisfied for what it is. I get the wind fairing in the mail this week and will install and provide an update on changes. Again, if we don't have the wind we had today, it'll be oranges to clementines... ;)

I will offer that this setup through amazon, ran me about 200 less than buying direct from RR or Etrailer, or any other site... (including using the Expert Voice discounts). The mounts are very solid and everything is well constructed. I was apprehensive about the Vortex SX100 feet ability to hold well to the stock rails, but they clamp down very solid and I couldn't get it to budge or rattle at all with very violent efforts.

I am satisfied for now and I will likely go to the backbone setup down the road.

Cheers

I will offer that this setup through amazon, ran me about 200 less than buying direct from RR or Etrailer, or any other site... (including using the Expert Voice discounts). The mounts are very solid and everything is well constructed. I was apprehensive about the Vortex SX100 feet ability to hold well to the stock rails, but they clamp down very solid and I couldn't get it to budge or rattle at all with very violent efforts.

I am satisfied for now and I will likely go to the backbone setup down the road.

Cheers

Thanks for the write-up, @outwardbound. This is the exact set-up I have been researching as I am not quite ready to risk the install of the Backbone.

I also have access to Expert Voice. Up until a month or so ago, I believe (not 100%certain) they were doing 40% - then they knocked it down to 20%. You're saying that you got the entire package for cheaper on Amazon?

That looks great... Why did you think you should have gone with the narrower (49") pioneer platform? I transferred my pioneer from my totaled Excursion so I was stuck with the wider platform but I found the wider platform provides something to hold onto when loading it from the side steps or door wells and if you use a collapsable ladder to get up onto it, the extra width will protect your body paint.

View attachment 2641263

I also found a couple great additions were some black seat track pieces and the Rhino Rack handles.

View attachment 2641262
The extra width does appear to present some advantages as you state. I didn't see what your exact dimensions were. Was the width 54" or wider? Thanks.

The extra width does appear to present some advantages as you state. I didn't see what your exact dimensions were. Was the width 54" or wider? Thanks.
Cheers mate. My Pioneer Platform is 56" x 84". I transplanted from my totaled Ford Excursion...

5510E32D-CDBC-410B-85FA-72A232629B6B.jpeg

To my '05 LX...

4C796AA9-179D-4ADF-8523-0BED6F95F981.jpeg

For what I wanted, yes. But I also got the 60x54 platform. There is a complete sx platform pkg available on RR site that is the 76x54 setup. I wanted a shorter platform. I saved about $150 all told when compared to same components sourced through RR. And I got it quicker with free shipping as much of the RR website stuff is on backorder. Free shipping thru Amazon really is where the savings are at though.

Another day of driving impressions. Maybe a 5mph wind breeze at best, west to east. Barely noticed any noise today even at highway speeds. I imagine the fairing will only make it quieter.

On the subject, is anyone taking their rack systems through a touchless car wash? I usually prefer handwashing, but when time is of the essence....

On the subject, is anyone taking their rack systems through a touchless car wash? I usually prefer handwashing, but when time is of the essence....
I'm a self-washer too but I don't think there would be any issues. My application only raised the top of the platform ~1/4" over the OEM bars. I would assume the touchless locations may have a height limitation but I could also lower my ride height with AHC if it became an issue. ;)

I still have my 54" x 76" pioneer rack with the SX feet sitting in a box. Spring Summer project.
I picked up our second 💯 and began my search for another Pioneer Platform (PP). I found another new in the box PP that @samster747 decided to go another way on and I pulled the trigger. :banana:

These systems are legit, well sorted but they are not cheap. Doing the research for the correct mounting hardware is always key. The Rhino Rack sales staff pass along the knowledge on the phone, so our cousins down under continue to provide really tight/well sorted, multi-taskable utility capabilities...

Cheers mates,
G

Just for another point of comparison, I have the 84x49 Pioneer Platform with the Backbone mount system. Sits 4" above the roof (measured as sunroof) and has minimal noise. I had a Gamivitti on a previous vehicle and can say this is quieter even without a fairing.

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_6418.JPG

IMG_6419.JPG

Just for another point of comparison, I have the 84x49 Pioneer Platform with the Backbone mount system. Sits 4" above the roof (measured as sunroof) and has minimal noise. I had a Gamivitti on a previous vehicle and can say this is quieter even without a fairing.

View attachment 2644168

View attachment 2644169

View attachment 2644170
looks good. I do wonder if my having the 54" wide rack causes greater windnoise or not. Or if it's the combo of side rails, vortex bars, and pioneer rack. Anyone with 54x60 pioneer on a backbone have any input on wind noise? I should have the fairing today or tomorrow...I may have made a size mistake though as I bought the 52" wide fairing and since I have a 60 inch rack, the roof rails come out near the front, which may prohibited my ability to properly position the fairing where it needs to be to be effective. Wondering if the shorter, 44" fairing would be the way to go..

View attachment 2644168

View attachment 2644169

View attachment 2644170
You might consider taking a measurement from the center of your rig to get the height to the top of your pioneer platform. The difference between the top of your OEM cross bars and your backboned PP will tell you how much taller your new system is.

I will offer that this setup through amazon, ran me about 200 less than buying direct from RR or Etrailer, or any other site... (including using the Expert Voice discounts).
Your install looks nice and thanks for sharing. In case you didn't know RhinoRack released the new version 2.0 Pioneer platform last summer in Australia and a few months ago in the USA. It looks like you got the original version (still a great platform) which is most likely why it was discounted on amazon. I ordered the 84" x 49" (52107F) with backbone directly from RhinoRack to make sure I got the newest version. Paying $90 for shipping was a bummer and I won't be buying many of their accessories which I feel are overpriced. I hope to post pictures of mine installed in a few weeks once I figure out what lights if any I want to add.

Your install looks nice and thanks for sharing. In case you didn't know RhinoRack released the new version 2.0 Pioneer platform last summer in Australia and a few months ago in the USA. It looks like you got the original version (still a great platform) which is most likely why it was discounted on amazon. I ordered the 84" x 49" (52107F) with backbone directly from RhinoRack to make sure I got the newest version. Paying $90 for shipping was a bummer and I won't be buying many of their accessories which I feel are overpriced. I hope to post pictures of mine installed in a few weeks once I figure out what lights if any I want to add.
Thanks. regarding the newer version. I am curious now if I did get an older or newer version. I spoke with Rhino Rack techs when ordering my SX100 feet and conversion kit and they informed me I had the new version which actually caused me to have to return the first conversion kit I ordered because it was the PN for the first gen version. what does yours look like? Or is there even a discernable difference in the base racks (maybe versions differ in components?)

Thanks.

As far as I know the newest version has channels on the top and bottom of the front and back ends and the sides have a ruler printed on the bottom are the easiest ways to tell. The angles of the edges and corner trim are also slightly different. The corner trim is also two pieces to aid running electrical, I don't know if the old version was two pieces or not.
PXL_20210414_030616340.jpg
Pioneer-NG-00.jpg

As far as I know the newest version has channels on the top and bottom of the front and back ends and the sides have a ruler printed on the bottom are the easiest ways to tell. The angles of the edges and corner trim are also slightly different. The corner trim is also two pieces to aid running electrical, I don't know if the old version was two pieces or not. View attachment 2644893View attachment 2644900
Thanks. Yes that does look a bit different than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom