Reverse Wire for Aftermarket Camera in 2008 Sequoia? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2008 SR5 without the factory backup camera. First thing I'd like to do is put in a camera in the rear bumper along with a new head unit. Any suggestions where to tap into a reverse wire to power the camera? I would have liked to simply tap into the reverse light wire (red/blue) but it's located in the lift gate which would be a pain to get to from the bumper. I do have the tow package -- can I tap into that? If so, can anyone help me identify which wire it is in the white harnesses (see photo)? Also, there's an open black harness with a red/blue wire. I'm assuming that one may is there for parking sensors (which I don't have) but it doesn't seem to be hot. Alternatively, is there anywhere else in the vehicle where a reverse wire would be easy to access? Thanks!
sequoia tow harness.jpg
!

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2008 SR5 without the factory backup camera. First thing I'd like to do is put in a camera in the rear bumper along with a new head unit. Any suggestions where to tap into a reverse wire to power the camera? I would have liked to simply tap into the reverse light wire (red/blue) but it's located in the lift gate which would be a pain to get to from the bumper. I do have the tow package -- can I tap into that? If so, can anyone help me identify which wire it is in the white harnesses (see photo)? Also, there's an open black harness with a red/blue wire. I'm assuming that one may is there for parking sensors (which I don't have) but it doesn't seem to be hot. Alternatively, is there anywhere else in the vehicle where a reverse wire would be easy to access? Thanks!View attachment 2503671!
have you checked the red/blue for power when in reverse? pretty sure that is the one you can use.

have you checked the red/blue for power when in reverse? pretty sure that is the one you can use.

Yes, I checked that one again today and it definitely isn't getting any power. So, I went ahead and snapped the cover off the back of the 7-way tow connector. I found that the reverse wire is in the center position and it's GRAY. So, I tapped into it there, added my own wire and put the cover back on. Next up is installing the backup camera and new head unit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom