Restoring the Vellum type indicators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dogcruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I can’t seem to find it on here (probably searing for the wrong things) but I’m looking to restore the translucent indicator lights, such as the parking brake, check engine and seatbelt. The satin finish on mine is yellowed or just rubbed off. One of them is cracked as well. Has anyone had luck fixing these up?

I can’t seem to find it on here (probably searing for the wrong things) but I’m looking to restore the translucent indicator lights, such as the parking brake, check engine and seatbelt. The satin finish on mine is yellowed or just rubbed off. One of them is cracked as well. Has anyone had luck fixing these up?

Restoring the early 60 style ones or later 62 style ones ?

Restoring the early 60 style ones or later 62 style ones ?
62, and not the ones integrated into the instrument clusters, but the standalone ones. I believe it’s seatbelt, check engine and 4WD.

1673869462507.jpeg

62, and not the ones integrated into the instrument clusters, but the standalone ones. I believe it’s seatbelt, check engine and 4WD.

View attachment 3220682

there are countless global variations of these for the 61 and 62

i am not sure if a usa spec. 62 10/87-1990 all stayed the same exactly or not ?

i have NEVER seen any restore threads on these either

my green 4wd one in my Girl GHOST is cracked , and needs replaced too ..... :confused:

from my experience in trying to make things alive once again , this would be a hard thing to pull off reproduction , because im sure some obscure company out there does get into this material for lamp shades or something similar , but the set up fees and any minimum order quantity would be so far out there i would predict ?

but who knows

UV rays damage is my say on why they fail and look like azz 30 and 40 years later .......

if i dove into this topic , here is where i would begin without question .....:cool:

1654732090788_default - Copy - Copy.jpg

It’s definitely a nitpick item and I’m sure countless cruisers have cracked or yellowed ones. I’m thinking that for the couple of mine that yellowed I could use a plastic polish like you’d use on headlights or rubbing compound to clean off the old matte surface. Then either leave it shiny or spray something like a clear matte coating over it.

I’m going to keep my eye out for someone parting out ann instrument panel and try out some resto options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom