Replacing AC condenser, from the back? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to replace the AC condenser, but there is a catch...
I do not wish to remove the front ARB bumper, it's a huge job installing it back.
So what o you think - is it possible to replace the AC condenser from the engine side?

I would like to replace the AC condenser, but there is a catch...
I do not wish to remove the front ARB bumper, it's a huge job installing it back.
So what o you think - is it possible to replace the AC condenser from the engine side?
All you have to do is remove the grille and the transmission cooler and it's right there. Don't need to remove the ARB to do this. Yes, it is inconvenient.

I have a big winch mounted in the bumper, and it is just up against the grill.
So I must either remove the winch, which will be almost impossible, or remove the entire bumper.
That's why I thought of getting there from the back.

I have a big winch mounted in the bumper, and it is just up against the grill.
So I must either remove the winch, which will be almost impossible, or remove the entire bumper.
That's why I thought of getting there from the back.
You would have to remove the radiator, the cooler, the grille, the transmission cooler, and then the AC condenser. So, I would still start at the front.

Unless the winch is literally in the grille, then you just have to reach down between the ARB/winch and the radiator to get to it.

Attach some pics so we understand your dilemma. Tools can make this happen.

There are sheet metal elements that prevent you from pulling it straight backwards, even if you removed the radiator and such. It attaches from the front via two bolts, one indicated in yellow arrow below. AC hardlines also connect via front-facing bolts, one shown with green arrow below. There's also one bolt on the vertical structural support in front of the condenser structural elements that's hard to get at even with clearance infront of the grill, down at the red arrow:

1649101439654.png

Although I guess if you just wanted to slip out the condenser you might be able to leave that lower bolt in place and bend that support a bit.

fdc007f8-8338-4302-9638-0b67d137f460.jpg
751bb384-e14b-4f0a-9512-2c2c7c95ce7a.jpg
1092dd61-28d8-47be-a53c-f22a1dafc365.jpg

I looked at this tonight, you have to pull the condenser to get to the top radiator bolts (actually nuts) which are immediately behind it. So I really don't think it's possible from the engine side.

Thank you all, I'll try first to remove the winch.

I removed the winch, took out the grill, and everything else from there went smooth.
Two hours work, very easy. Just need to go to my AC guy to fill the gas back.
Thanks all for your advice.

2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom