Replacement solenoids for 8274 winch or cheap contactor options. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Captn Conch

Life Begins Above Timberline.
Threads
I know Warn no longer has the solenoids for my 1977 8274, but are there new aftermarket similar winch solenoids that could be used? Were Warns very proprietary and unique design solenoids? Golf cart solenoids viable option?

I would like to keep my old winch stock in appearance and have replacement solenoids available on trail if one of the originals fails.

If not I may have to go the contactor route, but apparently do not fit under under the winch box cover. I may try one of cheap Amazon winch contractors. Anybody installed and using one of these $30.00 and up contactors? Superwinch contactors are no longer available, Warn/Albright are very pricey.

My old winch is still working fine but after reading numerous reports of the old solenoids failing, I am looking for options.

If I go cheap contactor, I would do trial (not trail) testing under load to see what happens...heat buildup etc. Is there a chance of screwing up my old motor if a contactor fails?

Last edited:
Is there a chance of screwing up my old motor if a contactor fails?

Reputable contactors (such as Albright) are designed to fail "open" if they do, so no harm to the motor that way. But who knows on the (Chinese?) $30 Amazon specials? It's a risk I suppose.

Did you manage to get it into the box or mount under hood? I can see the problem, it looks like the back of the control socket sticks in gap between the solenoids, contacter would be in the way of that socket and wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom