Replacement Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Started noticing a small drip spot on the driveway a few weeks back. It never developed into a major leak, but if I kept the overflow reservoir topped off, it would eventually leak down again after a few hundred miles. A friend of mine just replaced his GX470 radiator and it had a similar leak. I inspected it thoroughly after removal and never did find a crack, but it appears somewhere around the main inlet near the cap and accumulates in all the plastic bolt standoffs, then runs down the passenger side endcap.

Radiator (1).JPG

I decided to stick with OEM.
Radiator (2).JPG

I clamped off all the hoses and A/T lines and then drained the radiator with the drain cock at the bottom driver side corner. I would have drained the system completely, but I had done that about a year ago, so I wanted to keep as much coolant in the block as possible. I ended up replacing a little over a gallon of pink stuff once I got it reinstalled and replumbed. Also it didn't really need to be burped of any major air pockets.
Radiator (4).JPG

The one thing that confounded me was these 4 wide-flanged bushing nuts that hold the radiator to the core support structure. These little f'ers are 13mm!!! Who'da thunk Toyota would have used this oddball size?!
Radiator (3).JPG

Started noticing a small drip spot on the driveway a few weeks back. It never developed into a major leak, but if I kept the overflow reservoir topped off, it would eventually leak down again after a few hundred miles. A friend of mine just replaced his GX470 radiator and it had a similar leak. I inspected it thoroughly after removal and never did find a crack, but it appears somewhere around the main inlet near the cap and accumulates in all the plastic bolt standoffs, then runs down the passenger side endcap.

View attachment 2815481

I decided to stick with OEM.
View attachment 2815482

I clamped off all the hoses and A/T lines and then drained the radiator with the drain cock at the bottom driver side corner. I would have drained the system completely, but I had done that about a year ago, so I wanted to keep as much coolant in the block as possible. I ended up replacing a little over a gallon of pink stuff once I got it reinstalled and replumbed. Also it didn't really need to be burped of any major air pockets.
View attachment 2815489

The one thing that confounded me was these 4 wide-flanged bushing nuts that hold the radiator to the core support structure. These little f'ers are 13mm!!! Who'da thunk Toyota would have used this oddball size?!
View attachment 2815488
Now that’s funny. When I replaced my radiator recently I used some GM bolts from my bolt bucket that were 13mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom