replace and recode ignition key after attempted carjacking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. Son was driving our 2000 Land Cruiser when someone tried to carjack him. Thankfully, son is fine (besides some bruises). All they got was the key to our car but I want to buy a new ignition key and recode the system so the old key will no longer work. (I’ll have a locksmith rekey doors to new key afterwards.) I’ve found several videos on replacing the cylinder and/or recoding a new key to work with the current theft deterrent code but nothing on changing the code to something completely new.

Local Toyota dealer was less than helpful and offhandedly said it’d be more than $2,000. Another quoted $700 parts and was supposed to get back to me on labor but never heard back.

Some videos showed recoding using Toyota Techstream but it appears that Techstream is only available on newer Toyota models.

Anyone ever attempted this or have experience with something similar? Nothing turned up in search but maybe I haven’t found the correct keyword combination.

Thanks!

I think @Mauser might be able to give you some direction on the ECU/immobilizer side.

FYI: Techstream works with all Toyota vehicles from 1996 and up. You can use it to program your new keys.

You’ve got two pieces to this, one is the mechanical cylinder, the other is the electronic immobilizer (anti theft).

Assuming that you still have a master key, and neither the stolen key nor the remaining key is one of the “hardware store electronic clone keys”, you should be able to tell the ECU to “forget” the missing key with Techstream or possibly a “pedal dance hokey pokey”. Worst case would be to send the ECU to @Mauser for a “wipe”.

For the physical key, re-pin the locks, or replace the cylinder with new or used.

Thank you for your response. Yes, we have one “master” key (although I think it’s actually the valet key as it doesn’t have the buttons to lock/unlock the car. But it starts the car and is Toyota branded). So it sounds like I can get Techstream to recode the immobilizer, replace the cylinder and have a locksmith rekey the doors to the new key.

I also spent this afternoon reading 22 pages about the busted ignition camshaft so will replace that too! (busted ignition - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/busted-ignition.57050/)

Edit: The thief got the master key with the buttons which is why I need the immobilizer to forget the old master key and reprogram a new master key and then rekey all the doors.

Thank you for your response. Yes, we have one “master” key (although I think it’s actually the valet key as it doesn’t have the buttons to lock/unlock the car. But it starts the car and is Toyota branded). So it sounds like I can get Techstream to recode the immobilizer, replace the cylinder and have a locksmith rekey the doors to the new key.

I also spent this afternoon reading 22 pages about the busted ignition camshaft so will replace that too! (busted ignition - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/busted-ignition.57050/)

Edit: The thief got the master key with the buttons which is why I need the immobilizer to forget the old master key and reprogram a new master key and then rekey all the doors.

If you only have a “valet” key, I don’t believe Techstream will help on an early model. I believe you’re going to want Mauser’s help to “virginize” your ECU (or you’re going to have to pay a dealer or locksmith)

If you only have a “valet” key, I don’t believe Techstream will help on an early model. I believe you’re going to want Mauser’s help to “virginize” your ECU (or you’re going to have to pay a dealer or locksmith)
Hmm, I’ll have to confirm but this is the key I have (Toyota Land Cruiser Transmitter, transponder key master. Theft, system, warning - 8978526020 | Toyota of Lake City, Seattle WA - https://parts.toyotaoflakecity.com/p/Toyota__Land-Cruiser/TRANSMITTER---TRANSPONDER-KEY-MASTER/63283195/8978526020.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla_with_promotion&partnerDevice=c&userLocation=9033257&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9O6HBhCrARIsADx5qCQpeUrxMcy9OZUzyp20Pz-ib1hCp4UMOV2krTRwwew2mNnEeuxwFssaAhtoEALw_wcB)

But I don’t have the FOB key.

“There are 2 different kinds of keys, a master and a sub (valet) key. To add new key codes into the ecu a master key is required to allow the ecu to enter programming mode.

If all keys are lost the ecu will need to be reset.

The best way to tell if your key is a master is to watch the security light while you insert the key into the ignition switch. If the light goes out as soon as the key is inserted you have a master, if it stays lit for a second or two your key is a sub.”

“There are 2 different kinds of keys, a master and a sub (valet) key. To add new key codes into the ecu a master key is required to allow the ecu to enter programming mode.

If all keys are lost the ecu will need to be reset.

The best way to tell if your key is a master is to watch the security light while you insert the key into the ignition switch. If the light goes out as soon as the key is inserted you have a master, if it stays lit for a second or two your key is a sub.”
Thanks, yes, it is a master key.

It goes off. The key starts the car. Only difference is it does not have the buttons to lock/unlock doors.
Thanks, yes, it is a master key.
Then you’re in a good position. Get Techstream and use it to remove all keys *except that master* from being programmed to your 100. Then buy a couple of 4C keys with fobs, have them cut based on your VIN, and program them to your 100 using Techstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom