Reno FJ80-Friendly Repair Shop Needed (1 Viewer)

Hello,

Reno resident here....I am the new owner of a 1997 LX450 Cruiser project. I am so jazzed about finally becoming an FJ80 owner!

My LX450 Cruiser has been parked north of Wind Country CALF for at least 5 years. It's immediate needs include having the gas tank drained, the brake lines inspected/serviced, the tires replaced, and a diagnosis of engine-oil leak(s). As the FJ80 needs to be towed, I am seeking an honest, independent mechanic or shop in Reno that is familiar with FJs.

Any other suggestions about my new FJ80 would be appreciated.

Tony_Farson

Club President
GOLD Star

Hello, Reno resident here....I am the new owner of a 1997 LX450 Cruiser project. I am so jazzed about finally becoming an FJ80 owner! My LX450 Cruiser has been parked north of Wind Country CALF for at least 5 years. It's immediate needs include having the gas tank drained, the brake lines inspected/serviced, the tires replaced, and a diagnosis of engine-oil leak(s). As the FJ80 needs to be towed, I am seeking an honest, independent mechanic or shop in Reno that is familiar with FJs. Any other suggestions about my new FJ80 would be appreciated.
Congrats and welcome! I hope you'll join us for our club meeting on 9/10.

Tires: Les Schwab, or any of the other shops up here should work just fine.

As far as suggestions go, you are on the right track. I do all preventive maintenance up to the current mileage. Tune up/ignition/charging system, ALL fluids flush/replacement, filters, hoses, belts, bearings, brakes.

@reklund5 might be game for some work, but I'll leave that to him. Some of the other members have some recommendations I am sure, but I always point folks to Valley Hybrids in Stockton. Georg is a legend in the TLC community and will never steer you wrong or try to take you to the cleaners. He is a cool guy with an impressive Land Cruiser only business. I have a trailer and am planning a trip to his shop on the 15th to pick up my long range tanks. I'd be happy to haul it down there for you. All I ask is for a tank of gas and some lunch for my troubles!

I would add the major trouble spots on those rigs too. head gasket being one of them. Might as well bite the bullet now and get it replaced so it doesn't let you down at the worst possible time.

Lemme know if you decide you'd like to take it to Georg's. I am more than happy to help!

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
SILVER Star

Yeah unfortunately from what I am aware of there are no mechanics in the area (Reno, Carson, G-ville) that are overly familiar with Land Cruisers and their needs. Plenty of guys that do little bits of specialty work here and there but that is really about it. The nearest is going to be Georg at Valley Hybrid in Stockton. As Tony said you can't do any better than him, and since you are trailering it somewhere in the first place, go pay a visit to hims Cruiser Mecca and have it done right.

DesertLake

SILVER Star

Washoe Valley automotive is at least familiar with mine, but I did the initial baseline and later engine rebuild myself. If you do a rebuild talk to Douglas Auto Machine.

Test your coolant for exhaust gasses, you can get the kit from most auto parts stores. Mine had electrolysis pitting on #1 and #6 fire rings and a snapped head bolt between #3 and #4, yet the only symptom was slightly pressurized coolant - it would bubble out when I popped the cap cold, and one time it suddenly cut power climbing 395 by Mono Lake. No problems since the rebuild.

Enjoy!

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
SILVER Star

Washoe Valley automotive is at least familiar with mine, but I did the initial baseline and later engine rebuild myself. If you do a rebuild talk to Douglas Auto Machine.

Test your coolant for exhaust gasses, you can get the kit from most auto parts stores. Mine had electrolysis pitting on #1 and #6 fire rings and a snapped head bolt between #3 and #4, yet the only symptom was slightly pressurized coolant - it would bubble out when I popped the cap cold, and one time it suddenly cut power climbing 395 by Mono Lake. No problems since the rebuild.

Enjoy!
If needed I have a test kit that I can bring to a club meeting if you want to borrow. This is how I found that the head gasket was going on my 60.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom