Removing Radiator; Flat Fastner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I was trying to remove my radiator to clean all the nipples and check for damage while doing my entire cooling system service, and the top bolts that secure the radiator look like picture attached. Does anyone know how these are supposed to be removed?

Thanks,
-sourdough

IMG_20210305_202148.jpg

Yeah Dave I found the nut, the problem is it keeps spinning, since I have nothing to grip to.

Vicegrips maybe?

Go for the vice grips as the rubber will probably collapse anyway. If you look at the part number 16549 on the lower right of the radiator it shows the 'bolt', Toyota called this a collar, the diagram shows the nut on the front of the radiator, everyone I have seen this far has had the nut at the rear of the mount.

The rubber mount is often cracked and falling apart as are the lower ones down the sides, they are also shown in the diagram.

Regards.

Dave

If you want do yourself a huge favor for working on your vehicle in the future I highly recommend buying at least one or two pair of the Milwaukee vice grips. They have a metal tensioning adjuster that you can rotate with a screwdriver and they are incredible for locking onto bolts and working the oppositions side with a wrench.

I just replaced my radiator and this was how I locked that flat-headed bolt in place while I removed the nut on the opposite side with a deep socket.

Amazon product ASIN B00LJOQQO0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom