Removing old sealer / liner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
twitter.com
Pulled the old beat up fenders off my m101- I'd like some help/POV on how best to get rid of the sealer, kind of caulky stuff, that was between the tub and fender. Heat and scraper? Sandblast that section? It's just me in a driveway so I'm hoping to make some kind of quick work of this so I can move on to painting and reassembling parts.

There looks to be some old liner of some kind in wheelwells (under fender, on tub)-- this looks pretty light but let me know if anyone's gotten rid of this too in the process.

@warezdog you rule. Thanks for that tip; going to look into it and give it a shot. Have contacted a couple media blasters in my area and none have gotten back to me. I guess they already have too much business :hmm: Going to get this done in the next week while our weather is still great and I can button this all up before fall and winter come.

No problem, I didn't want to spend a crap load on a name brand so I figured a 20% off coupon on $20 wouldn't be much to throw away if it sucked but it really impressed me, so much so that when the cordless one went on sale for the same price I bought it as well. The corded one much more robust but the cordless one has come in handy in tight spots. Save your money on the blaster, the attachments you can get at HF are cheap and many, the sharp blade tore right thru underbody spray like butter.

@warezdog Wanted to follow up with you on this tool you suggested. Have to admit I had low to no confidence in a $20 tool — but holy sh/t did it work! Had all that old sealer/caulk off both sides in about 20 minutes. A 0-banana job if there ever was one. I put a heat gun to the final few crumbs left over and bam! it was all done in a flash.

I am a total tool snob and after this experience I realize I've been really really wrong. Fantastic results on this. Thank you again for the suggestion.

Good to hear, I knew you'd be pleasantly surprised with it.

There are gems to be had at HF and I wouldn't spend the $$$$$ on a FEIN so gambling $20 seemed like a better bet than a putty knife and sore triceps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom