Removing Clear Coat from Powdercoated wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I have some “new to me” LC wheels that the PO had powder coated in black satin after which they were then sprayed with clear coat.

After several years, the clear coat seems to be flacking off and has faded.

Has anyone here successfully removed clear from powder coated metal? Or does anyone have knowledgeable advice for how to remove or prep for a new coat of clear?

basically would like to get back to the powder coated satin finish or if that’s not advisable would like to explore paint correction or respirating options to get them looking uniform again.

Here’s a close up of the failing clear coat when they are dry

0C6BAAD3-6CDD-46F1-A428-DCFA89EABCAB.jpeg

here’s how they look wet, which would be a great look if repraying is an option or if we could remove all the failing clear
E51344A4-1C44-46B4-9ACA-9E4FFA4DE450.jpeg

Any thoughts? Sand down the failing clear? Then maybe polish the powder coat?

Any thoughts? Sand down the failing clear? Then maybe polish the powder coat?
I noticed that this section of the forum is very lightly replied to. It seems like it will be hard to sand off the clear without scratching the powdercoating, but I have never worked with powdercoated material before.

I am in a similar situation as you with my original silver factory wheels on my 91. I was thinking of having them blasted then coat with epoxy primer and sand smooth the faces and repaint silver. I got a quote of $175 per wheel to blast, powdercoat and clear for each wheel. A bit pricy so looking to do it myself.

Good luck.

I noticed that this section of the forum is very lightly replied to. It seems like it will be hard to sand off the clear without scratching the powdercoating, but I have never worked with powdercoated material before.

I am in a similar situation as you with my original silver factory wheels on my 91. I was thinking of having them blasted then coat with epoxy primer and sand smooth the faces and repaint silver. I got a quote of $175 per wheel to blast, powdercoat and clear for each wheel. A bit pricy so looking to do it myself.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, I was worried maybe my question was stupid or that maybe I offended someone! Haha

I’ll keep u posted, started playing with some penetrol tonight. Don’t have high hopes but let’s see how it dries. A bit too glossy and actually further accentuated the imperfections

After good cleaning and drying
A60C8CCD-088D-4B12-BD7F-A4FA78087450.jpeg

after applying penetrol to the spoke at 9ish o’clock.
6A78B200-444E-4559-B4DB-E56F772E6C75.jpeg

I’ll try to report back in a day or so after it dries… don’t think it’s gonna be the right solution but it’s what I have and seems to be the next step up from tire shine, or wax which were okay.

mom hoping to do any sanding as a last resort for fear of screwing them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom