Removing chrome from grill...How (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a grill and the chrome is bubbling I want to remove it and paint it satin black.
Anyone have some easy remedies so far I have tried scraping the worst of it but the flat chrome is not willing to let go.

Last edited:
19 years of Illinois and WI winters seem to be doing a good job on mine.

Aircraft stripper might be an option also. Test in an inconspicuous area.

Sand it down with 80 - 120 grit sand paper to remove all the loose junk. Wash off. Hit it with two coats of primer. Paint with desired topcoat.

Look at my Moonshine thread. I just painted the grill and headlight doors with an enamel rattle can paint and it came out great.

Last edited:
The plastic on these grills is getting old and brittle. If you try to peel all the chrome off, you will break it. Peel off the loose stuff, and sand and paint like the rum runner says. I bought aftermarket replacement grill and headlight doors, and saved the old stuff in case of an accident.

Mine was bubbling too. I'm lazy, I just sprayed over it. Looks great.

Chrome just peeled off mine no problem.. this was in winter..below freezing, don't know if that matters

Sand it down with 80 - 120 grit sand paper to remove all the loose junk. Wash off. Hit it with two coats of primer. Paint with desired topcoat.

Look at my Moonshine thread. I just painted the grill and headlight doors with an enamel rattle can paint and it came out great.

Little elbow grease and an air sander it's a piece of cake. Make sure that primer coat goes on to a prep dust free surface, wipe it down after the rinse with a good solvent. Don't ask me how I know:eek: but on the second painting got it to work right. :beer:

Little elbow grease and an air sander it's a piece of cake. Make sure that primer coat goes on to a prep dust free surface, wipe it down after the rinse with a good solvent. Don't ask me how I know:eek: but on the second painting got it to work right. :beer:

Rinsing off with water and air drying works just as well. I wasn't sure if a solvent would affect the ancient plastic.

I took mine to a chrome plating place and had them strip the chrome off. It cost me three bucks
Picture 239.jpg

just spray over with cheap paint and touch up when it flakes.

a samll sand blaster would be best

3 Bucks wish I lived in L.A. did they rechrome it for you.

I took mine to a chrome plating place and had them strip the chrome off. It cost me three bucks

Wow!!! :eek: 3 bucks! That looks beautiful!! It maybe worth sending it to them. Shipping cant be to much. they dont weigh that much either.
Hell..... for 3 bucks it may be worth it!

I want that done to mine before I go matte black. How did they remove the chrome? Sandblasting or chemical?
I would have thought that sandblasting the plastic would have destroyed the grill...

I would not sand blast the grill. The grill is made out of ABS plastic and is chrome plated just like any other metal. Do a google search: chrome plating and your zip code that how I found : Chrome Plating, Chrome Plastic, Copper Plating. They do a lot of work for Fender guitars. The grill was dipped in a chemical. Do a search for: remove nickel plating

That came out sweet. Just a little FYI I called a plating place next town over from me in Indiana & they said they would strip a grille for around $5.00 to $10.00 (best guess without seeing it they said). But heck that is still very cheap & worth it.

That came out sweet. Just a little FYI I called a plating place next town over from me in Indiana & they said they would strip a grille for around $5.00 to $10.00 (best guess without seeing it they said). But heck that is still very cheap & worth it.

You gotta do the buckets too if you want that all black effect. Wonder what the charge would be to do it all? That is a great idea, never gave a thought to a plating place.

Don't know charge for it all my son had a bunch of stuff he wanted the chrome off of & they did a basket full of stuff for $10.00 I guess its easy to strip chrome plastic

I'm googling it right now damnit!

10 bucks is still worth it.
I used a plastic paint on mine and it came out nice.... it lasted longer than regular paint too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom