removed cats no codes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I removed the catalaric converters yesterday drove from Phnom Penh cambodia into Laos about 500 miles so far, 1 tank of fuel and no codes before I removed the cats I would get the 420 code 1 or 2 time about every 12 hours .

So far code free the exhust sound in nice but can not hear it from inside. just a little more power to the sound.
No heat under the feets of the passanges. Water temp. about 4 deg lower at hwy speed.

But whats up with the no codes now.
Feels to have more power fuel MPG still checking but up 1/2 to 1 MPG.

Brian

Last edited:
I must be drank'n to understand bits and pieces of that. Less back pressure equals less emission gasses for the O2 sensor to pick up = no more code. Consider yourself lucky not to have them.

I was just playing with a 2001 FZJ100 with a 1FZ-FE engine here in Iraq...Guess what??? No cats..
Single pipe to big ugly muffler.

I might go catless since we don't have to pass a smog test here in TX.

I might go catless since we don't have to pass a smog test here in TX.

It won't pass a visual, but yes, Vidor is not in a non-attainment county, yet. There are 17 counties in Texas that test.

Yeah, I realize it won't pass a visual, but most places don't even look. I had a Mustang inspected for years and it was running open headers with 24" of 3" pipe and that was it. It set off car alarms in parking lots. It passed with flying colors for years. You gotta love small town Texas!

Yeah, I realize it won't pass a visual, but most places don't even look. I had a Mustang inspected for years and it was running open headers with 24" of 3" pipe and that was it. It set off car alarms in parking lots. It passed with flying colors for years. You gotta love small town Texas!

You have to love ownig a vehicle that's 25 years or older too! Safety check only. I'm guessing you had the exhaust on the Mustang dumped beyond the cabin of the vehicle though. Anyway, it's all bulls***. I could hook up the exhaust on my P car and the LC, which have over 400k miles combined, to a container and distribute it to a medical facility for use on patients with lung problems. We don't emit s***.

You have to love ownig a vehicle that's 25 years or older too! Safety check only. I'm guessing you had the exhaust on the Mustang dumped beyond the cabin of the vehicle though. Anyway, it's all bull****. I could hook up the exhaust on my P car and the LC, which have over 400k miles combined, to a container and distribute it to a medical facility for use on patients with lung problems. We don't emit ****.

My Mustang exhaust only had 24" of pipe after the headers. If you sat idling too long, you could get a little light headed. lol. I imagine many out there have gutted the cats and still pass inspection.

I've been thinking about dropping my cats also. We don't have any inspection here in Indiana so it shouldn't be to big of a deal. Has anyone had any problems as far as the o2 sensors or rough idle after removing the cats?

I've been thinking about dropping my cats also. We don't have any inspection here in Indiana so it shouldn't be to big of a deal. Has anyone had any problems as far as the o2 sensors or rough idle after removing the cats?

After the cats was off the first start and test drive it run bad like missing running on 5 cyl. but after 3 or 4 more times turing it off and restarting test driving it all cleared up. did get a code the first time 380? or somthing close to that, on the 1st drive around block. I cleared it and it never come back. But at the repair shop in Phnom Penh said it was from water from me washing the motor before the test drive I called BS but dont know code free so far day 3 . Dont know if the O2 sencer needs to be installed for direction of exhust flow or not.

Runs good idles good the heat on the pass floor gone what is a good thing here were it always hot or hotter.

I can go about 300 miles on a tank running 65 to 70 mph. its a little better then before with cats.

I can see the O zone hole getting a little bigger too.
Next week I go the the south pole to club baby seals LOL.:p
Brian

I must be drank'n to understand bits and pieces of that. Less back pressure equals less emission gasses for the O2 sensor to pick up = no more code. Consider yourself lucky not to have them.

sorry this key board has not letters on it so I cANt type but maybe I was drank'n when i typed it LOL :beer:

If you move to Houston, watch out. Smog testing is required in Harris County. They should do a visual looking for something that resembles a catalytic convertor.

Good luck.

I live in Houston now, but I still register and inspect my vehicle in Vidor.

UP date on fuel MPG,
outside temp 85 to 95f 60% hwy 40% city +off road. 40% with AC on MPG over 600 miles avarged 14.8 2 people and gear. NO cat code yet . Unknown octane of the gas 1/2 bought in Laos 1/2 in Cambodia.

Anyone having problems from removing the cats yet? What your before and after MPG?

No probelms yet , The floor stays cool.
I do get the cat code now about once every 2 weeks but was getting that code before I removed them.
I just clear it and Im good for a few weeks.

I would do it to any 80 I had.

Brian

No probelms yet , The floor stays cool.
I do get the cat code now about once every 2 weeks but was getting that code before I removed them.
I just clear it and Im good for a few weeks.

I would do it to any 80 I had.

Brian

How about fuel economy difference?

How about fuel economy difference?

It seemed to go up a little. I did the same run about 250 miles and it did use less fuel with the cats off. I would not expect to see it do too much better unless your cats are plugged up.
Mine was not plugged and looked like they would flow OK I could see right threw them.

The number one reason I removed them was the heat they made making the floor hot and the fuel I'm buying . You never know what type of fuel is in the 2 liter Pepsi bottles you buy on the side of the road.

Brian

normally the 420 code is due to a leak in the exhaust around one of the cats. It's causes the two 02 sensors not to communicate properly. Fix the leak and you fix the code. Now that's mostly.....

So by removing the cats and replacing with pipe, you have removed a leak. THat's my guess why you have no code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom