Remove Power Steering Pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have play in the shaft of my 1980 FJ40 Power steering pump (S. American Model).
I am attempting to rebuild it, but I am stuck at step one and cannot get the pulley off.
It is keyed.
It doesn't seem to have the normal flange you hook the pulley removal tool around like a normal press fit one and it certainly isn't coming off based on me wiggling it.

I attempted to use a gear puller but that, uh, didn't work.

Am I missing some trick here with the key or something?

Last edited:
This 'requires' a special tool. You can buy a power steering pulley puller at your favorite automotive store. I was too cheap to buy one, but never manged to get the pulley off without buggering it. Had to buy a used unit at the wreckers.

Ian, the power-steering pullers seem to use a lip that doesn't exist on mine. They wouldn't work.
So I did the thing. I used a ball-joint fork and just hammered on the backside until it popped off. It worked okay.
It turns out that my pump is buggered six ways from Sunday. The bearings got loose and whatever pump system was in there before was toast by the time I got a look at it.

I am ordering a replacement, which I am not sure fits the international models, but I suppose I will find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom