Relocating GX470 backup camera wiring HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello friends, I’ve been lurking on this forum since 2014 but this is the first time I’ve ever posted. (I know, shame on me).

I have a 2007 GX470 and this last weekend I installed the Bison Gear tire carrier. The instructions were garbage but I managed fine on all the mechanical bits. Where I blew it (pun intended) however, was the wiring/relocation of the backup camera.

There were ZERO instructions for this section but I scoured the interwebs and found a few semi-helpful tidbits including this manual from SSO. https://www.southernstyleoffroad.co...CAMERA-RELOCATE-INSTALLATION-INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

I followed their instructions and cut the wires ahead of the connector to then extend them with new wire/butt connectors. I’m by no means a pro at this kind of stuff but I’ve done this process many times on various vehicles and even did it on this project for the relocated license plate bracket. Alas, camera doesn’t work.

I’d originally tried with 18g wire and so I thought maybe that was the issue so I went to the store and bought different gauges but none of those worked either.

Having read literally everything on the web about cameras in Toyotas/Lexus’, I’m thinking maybe the configuration of my individual unit was different and I cut in the wrong place. I can confirm this is the OEM camera but when I cut along the line noted in the SSO instructions, instead of seeing 4, evenly sized wires, There were 2 larger/2 smaller and the larger 2 appeared to have “interior” and exterior wires? ( told you I’m a n00b).

If I could go back and do it again, I’d cut to the left of the quick-connect in the below pic and just extend the camera wires without trying to relocate the quick-connect to behind the carrier but, choices (and mistakes) were made.

Because there is a serious lack of info about this online, I thought someone here might’ve experienced a similar problem or have thought of something I hadn’t. (I even caught myself wondering if I’d forgotten to account for power but these were the same 4 wires powering the camera previously so, they *should* work, right?)

I really don’t want to pay a shop a boatload to fix this one dumb error but I also want a functioning backup camera. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. I will tolerate verbal abuse and jokes at my expense.

Alternatively, if anyone is near Austin, TX and can recommend someone who might fix an idiot’s blunder for less than a shop would charge, I’d take those suggestions too.

Thanks y’all and sorry for just being a fly on the wall all these years. I’ve learned a ton from this community.

Edit: As I’m sitting here reading the SSO instructions for the 1000x time (but the first time not on my phone), I’m realizing that’s almost certainly where I f**ked up. I thought the red line was where to cut but I think they were actually saying to cut as close to the quick-connect as possible. Where I cut there *was* 4 wires which is why I continued down that path but again, they were not all the uniform size like they are close to the connector. :sigh: So now my question is am I even smart enough to fix this blunder with the help of the internet or is my only option to take it into a shop that actually knows how to do wiring?

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 3.51.55 PM.png
IMG_9566.jpeg

IMG_9575.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom