refrigerated center console (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

loquito said:
Junk I am disapointed to hear that Mike hasn't checked in, not even personel Email huh? I sure hope he is okay.

Afraid nothing. Sent him emails etc and never heard back. Maybe he just moved on - don't know. A few folks here would get upset about his options but it was great having him around. Nice guy. :frown:

Jealosy will get you nowhere!!

Junk said:
Like the below? :flipoff2:

That is hideous. I'll take my shrink wrap any day. :D

-B-

Junk I hope your right and Mike has just moved on. Oh please tell me that is a pic of wrench's work, he hurt my feelings with his" Thats a stupid Idea comment." :flipoff2:

Kalawang said:
Mot,

That's the second time you've mentioned a rear a/c project. Are you talking about a rear blower or a separate a/c for the rear ? We have shops here that install overhead blowers to cool the rear of vans and wagons. A friend installed one in his LC and happily recounts the number of passengers who've developed headaches from having cold air blowing on the back of their head.

Kalawang

I'm with Kalawang on this [hey, we come from the same place!]. Rear a/c is pretty easy to install especially in a tropical country like ours where no rear a/c on a vehicle as large as the 80 will surely cook the third row passengers.

I was at the a/c shop one time and the owner says the LC80 he was fitting with rear a/c was owned by a guy named drexx.

Isn't he always hanging around, here? :D

Kalawang said:
Mot,

That's the second time you've mentioned a rear a/c project. Are you talking about a rear blower or a separate a/c for the rear ? We have shops here that install overhead blowers to cool the rear of vans and wagons. A friend installed one in his LC and happily recounts the number of passengers who've developed headaches from having cold air blowing on the back of their head.

Kalawang

Kalawang,

I am talking about the OEM unit that were available for the "wagon/petrol" models.

Those "shops" you speak of don't happen to have any web pages, do they? :D

Bill,

Thanks for the offer for me to make an offer. ;p ;)

I thought only the gasoline/wagon models came with rear ac, but I've been known to have been wrong many, many times.

Can you PM me the list of the parts you have?

My e-mail is: motoomi@yahoo.com

Thanks again for the offer.

Steven,

I can't remember whose rig that is but I recall someone who kept on asking dumb questions about how to install LED's in the rear of his 80. It can't be the same person, can it? :flipoff2:

OTEP,

Drexx?
I've never heard of him before... :rolleyes:
Maybe he can chime in if he's not busy.

Do you happen to have any info or pics about such a project?
I'm not really hung up on the OEM idea if there's another way that is more simple and inexpensive.

I did hear back from the parts guy who was going to help me with the OEM rear ac project and he told me that he hadn't given up on it yet. :rolleyes: I'll wait and see what kind of parts list he will generate and more importantly how difficult and expensive it's going to be. :eek:

Thanks guys for your inputs.

I do hope that Asiarider/Mike is alive and well though. I miss seeing those drapes...

Mot ;)

mot said:
OTEP,

Drexx?
I've never heard of him before... :rolleyes:
Maybe he can chime in if he's not busy.

Do you happen to have any info or pics about such a project?
I'm not really hung up on the OEM idea if there's another way that is more simple and inexpensive.

I did hear back from the parts guy who was going to help me with the OEM rear ac project and he told me that he hadn't given up on it yet. :rolleyes: I'll wait and see what kind of parts list he will generate and more importantly how difficult and expensive it's going to be. :eek:

Thanks guys for your inputs.

I do hope that Asiarider/Mike is alive and well though. I miss seeing those drapes...

Mot ;)

It's not even a house. The work is done in the a/c tech's own home garage. Sorry no webpage (not very hightech, stone-age is an understatement). From time to time, I can see OEM LC80 rear a/c kits being sold in the classified ads.

When Toyota released the 80 here, they released a relatively basic model. No floor console, bench front seat, third row jumpseats, etc. But since the market demands dual a/c's, they had to retrofit them.

The blower rests in the right rear quarter panel, air is carried to the c-pillar vents via an acrylic (transparent) duct.

This is getting kinda OT from the original coolbox question. hehehe.

OTEP said:
The blower rests in the right rear quarter panel, air is carried to the c-pillar vents via an acrylic (transparent) duct.

That's exactly the same way it's set-up here.
Do you have any idea what the kit consists of? (No biggie if you don't know ;) )

OTEP said:
This is getting kinda OT from the original coolbox question. hehehe.

I'm sure Steven(loquito) doesn't mind. ;p

Mot :)

I just saw the picture on the local ads paper. It looks like the blower itself, the acrylic ducting, the roof ducts and the switch panel. I'm not sure if the kit is Toyota Japan or local Toyota (they subcontract a/c instillation on some models to Sanden and/or Denso).

Other than that, the a/c tech that outfitted Drexx's 80 can also jury rig almost anything to have dual a/c. He installed a dual a/c system on a Trooper using non-Isuzu parts. And it worked quite well.

OTEP,

Thanks for the info.

Luckily I have those parts already.

I guess what I need to do is to find a competent ac shop that has performed a mod like this before.

Thanks again!

Mot

byrd39 said:
Mot, don't give up, I have a rear air unit and a console, I took it out of a 93 hdj81, make me an offer. Located in Atlanta. I need to ck . but I think I have 2 console's Send me a e- mail if interested

Bill,

This is great info on retrofitiing the rear AC. I am still interested in this project, especially if there is a parts list from a kit to make the mod easier.

Mot, thanks for all your help. I haven't forgotten about the lights yet. Thanks for being so patient.

John

97 FZJ80 said:
Mot, thanks for all your help. I haven't forgotten about the lights yet. Thanks for being so patient.

No problem at all John.

Just let me know when you are ready to pull the trigger.

BTW, I stumbled across a Mega Cruiser set by the way, if you are still interested in one.

Yours,

Mot

mot said:
I'm sure Steven(loquito) doesn't mind. ;p

I dont mind Mot I have been side tracked with having to concentrate on a new bumper. :mad: I am interested in your progress though.

loquito said:
I am interested in your progress though.

Or lack thereof. :flipoff2:

Good luck with your bumper.
You going with ARB or OEM? (I need to search for your post/thread probably ;p )

Mot

OTEP,

I'd take that kind of ghetto workmanship in a heartbeat. :D

Thanks for sharing the photo and the link. ;)

Mot

mot said:
OTEP,

I'd take that kind of ghetto workmanship in a heartbeat. :D

Thanks for sharing the photo and the link. ;)

Mot

Unfortunately Drexx is in the habit of using original equipment. I've not yet seen they type used by Drexx available locally, but I have not done any energetic effort looking in that direction. Most third party units I've seen simply hang in the center as far back as they can place it and the hoses are hidden in the pillars and ceiling lining. They appear to work well.

As OTEP mentioned, we are reasonably simple in our operations here, so no web sites that I know of. If you're in need of parts, let me know and I'll include it on my next shopping trip. I spend a fair amount of time haunting the parts supplies and junk yards here.

Kalawang

Kalawang,

Thanks so much for your offer and taking the time to comment on my post(s).

I will get in touch with you if I get desperate. ;)

Thanks again!

Yours,

I did not get much chance to study Drexx's rear a/c. When I got to the shop, they moved it out [into the rain] so that I could park the Zuki Vitara in the workshop.

It does look non-OEM. Those airvents are the same vents used by AMC in making the Hummer replicas ( www.rhinobuggies.com.au ).

The housing itself looks vinyl to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom