Recommended suspension upgrade for adding 2" and a front bumper w/ winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a newbie to Toyota and just purchased a used 2014 200 last week. Among some smaller upgrades, I'd like to eventually add a front bumper with winch and rear bumper. With the added weight, I assume I'll need some suspension upgrades. I come from the domestic side (Tahoe, Suburban, etc.) and did all the modifications myself on previous vehicles, but just don't know much about the 200s. I've done a lot of reading here about various suspension upgrades here on the forum, but just wanted to see if I could get some advice. I'm not looking for anything super fancy. Just a reliable suspension upgrade to support the added weight and maybe add a few inches of lift. I know there's different types of springs within manufacturers, so I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct parts. Thank you.

Ok, so I would not start modifying the suspension, until you add the weight. I did the opposite on my 100 series and am now buying a second set of springs to soften my ride.

Figure 100 - 200 lbs for the front bumper with a winch
100-170 for rear bumper w/ tire carrier and tire mounted - more weight (30-40 lbs) if you go with big tires 35's
150 lbs for the sliders
rack doesn't really weight much so I don't count that

So on the conservative side 550 lbs worth of goodies / bolt ons
Take that info, call a couple cruiser shops (vendors on here is a good starting point) and ask them what they think you can have for the money you want to spend. Know your intended use for the vehicle before calling as that will be a question. Be honest too, most of us can't be on the trail as much as we'd like to, so know that on road driving must be comfortable and responsive to your liking. If you're lucky enough to have this as a trail ride only then start there.

If you get into drawer systems and all that then theres more weight to account for - I don't have them so I have no guess to throw out there on poundage.

And WELCOME!

Figure 100 - 200 lbs for the front bumper with a winch
100-170 for rear bumper w/ tire carrier and tire mounted - more weight (30-40 lbs) if you go with big tires 35's
150 lbs for the sliders
rack doesn't really weight much so I don't count that

So on the conservative side 550 lbs worth of goodies / bolt ons
Take that info, call a couple cruiser shops (vendors on here is a good starting point) and ask them what they think you can have for the money you want to spend. Know your intended use for the vehicle before calling as that will be a question. Be honest too, most of us can't be on the trail as much as we'd like to, so know that on road driving must be comfortable and responsive to your liking. If you're lucky enough to have this as a trail ride only then start there.

If you get into drawer systems and all that then theres more weight to account for - I don't have them so I have no guess to throw out there on poundage.

And WELCOME!

Ya. If you use drawers as I did in my 100...they tend to be filled with tools and other heavy doodads 24/7. It adds up pretty quickly...at least for me.

Ok, so I would not start modifying the suspension, until you add the weight. I did the opposite on my 100 series and am now buying a second set of springs to soften my ride.

Man, that's really true if you can afford to do it all at the same time. It would have been a lot easier if I did my build in one big push like my 100. Doing it piecemeal as I've had to on my 200 means I keep wishing for stronger rear coils, and a few more mm of coiler preload as I add weight of sliders, skids, batteries, and soon drawers...and eventually a bunch more weight with bumpers, etc.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the suggestions. I did intend on doing everything at once, just wanted to be prepared. I will do some more research and see what I can find for my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom