1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recognize this long range fuel tank?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by FJ Silver, Apr 17, 2018.

1. FJ Silver

FJ Silver

Media:
    My long range tank is leaking from the top and I can't find any info about the tank on the tank itself. Its on a 62 and I'd like to learn a little more about it. I'm not sure how old it is, but somewhere around 2000 I think it must have been installed, could be older. Anyone recognize who made it?

Below is the top part of the tank and it looks like its leaking from the fuel gauge sending unit, if that's what it is.
    The fuel gauge is not working like it should, starts registering Full after a 100 miles and is on completely empty for like 200 miles.
    I'd like to get all the parts I need first before tanking the tank off since its my DD.

Top of the tank from the side:
    20180414_155957.jpg

From where it's leaking at the top, two wires going to it. Hard to get a good picture... Would that be the sending unit?
    20180416_174154.jpg

Bottom of the tank from the side. Top of the picture you can see all the gas hoses.
    20180416_173611.jpg

Front of the tank
    20180416_173737.jpg

Fuel pump access in the distance on the right, thats not leaking.
    20180416_173725.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. DCFJ62

DCFJ62

Fuel system, I wouldn't risk any shortcuts. Fuel with ethanol has been the norm since after that tank was installed if it's circa 2000. Think of ethanol in fuel as a magnet for water, this is havoc on a fuel system. Things like rubber and plastic can be degraded by it, and steel will rust from the inside out. These systems were not designed with ethanol in mind. The bottom of your tank will tell you how bad it is once you get it dropped. I would check everything from the tank to the injectors and inspect for signs of corrosion. Bet on all things rubber and plastic needing to be replaced, and your tank needing to be treated and coated at a minimum. Hopefully the corrosion has not compromised the welds on the tank. Then I would look at a replacement instead of a fix.

3. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Media:
    Albums:
    If it's leaking from the fuel gauge sending unit that could be an easy fix if you can you still get at this part from the cargo access panel. Have you tried that?

4. 89fjlandcruiser

89fjlandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Could be a Man-a-Fre fuel sell.

5. FJ Silver

FJ Silver

Media:
    Yeah i'm curious about what I'll find inside the tank when dropped. Last time I changed the fuel filter it looked pretty clean though.
    Ethanol is terrible.. I have been trying to keep the tank full-ish to help mitigate water issues. But I know the tank is old.

I have a new fuel pump with filter sock etc. I need to replace the charcoal canister as well.

That cargo access panel only accesses the fuel pump thats on the front lower end of the tank @89GASHOG...
    The area that's leaking is pretty much flush with the cargo itself, Maybe an inch space in between. So i'll definitely have to drop the tank...

Yeah, maybe an older model Man a Free @89fjlandcruiser? curious if someone else has the same one.

6. 89fjlandcruiser

89fjlandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes there is another thread out there with the same question

7. 89fjlandcruiser

89fjlandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    “New FJ60” thread has the same
    Soe lawst is the member.

8. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Media:
    Albums:
    Pretty sure the MAF extended range tank uses exiting fuel pump bracket, which means fuel pump would be in stock location and not accessed from cargo panel. Only fuel sending unit is accessed from that panel.

9. FJ Silver

FJ Silver

Media:
    Thanks @89fjlandcruiser, that does look like the same tank.

Ok thanks @89GASHOG
    So in this picture, the cargo access is right above where the fuel lines disappear into. Isn't that the fuel pump?

20180416_173737.jpg

10. 89fjlandcruiser

89fjlandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Your fuel pump is in front on passengers side. Behind and below your alternator.
    If this is a fj60.
    Those lines there is sending unit and your pick up lines.

11. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Media:
    Albums:
    He said it's a 62, so this would have the higher pressure fuel lines for EFI and the pump inside tank. Not sure about the photo two posts above but they look more like wires than fuel lines to me because they have many kinks. That would be the general area for fuel sending unit on stock 62 tank.

12. 89fjlandcruiser

89fjlandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah ok!
    I agree with you if it’s a 62.