Reclocking COMEUP DV-12s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently received my COMEUP DV-12s and I'm now attempting to get things ready for the installation while I wait for COMEUP to send me a replacement motor cap; the cap arrived cracked by, I assume, UPS. @COMEUP is sending me a new one and I should have it sometime next week according to the CS rep.

Anyway, this winch will be going in an ARB combo bar on a 100 Series and in order to use the freespool T-handle, I'll need to reclock it so I can get my hand in there. If mounting feet forward, I'll need the handle to come to the front of the vehicle by 40 degrees.

Now, I'm having a hell of a time trying to reclock this sucker. I've checked the owner's manual (which oddly enough seems to be for the Seal series winch, not the DV series, so no help here) and I've checked their website and YouTube channel, which again, everything seems to be geared towards the Seal series winch. I did find this page, however the instructions are so sparse they provide no help.
Could I clock the freespool T-handle position in your winch?

I've removed the 3 bolts on the brake cover and the brake cover itself, exposing the 6 bolts for the clutch assembly. I removed all 6 of these, however the clutch seems to be frozen together. I can slide the whole clutch assembly away from the spool housing, exposing the greased gear set, however I would assume this is not how you would reclock as it has three pegs that lock the assembly together on the spool housing and this would only allow you three T-handle positions at 120 degree increments. COMEUP states there should be 9 settings at 40 degree increments.

What am I doing wrong guys?

Last edited:
Hi @willbt ,

Here is a link to a video on the ComeUp Facebook page showing how to clock the DV-9 and DV-12 light winches:

Let me know if you have further questions.

I just did that on my DV-9S. It is sealed in with some real sticky lube/sealant. I whacked on mine with a rubber mallet while violently wiggling up and down on the gearbox and it came loose.

I just did that on my DV-9S. It is sealed in with some real sticky lube/sealant. I whacked on mine with a rubber mallet while violently wiggling up and down on the gearbox and it came loose.

When you reclocked yours, did you spin the entire clutch side? The video shows it that way. You'll notice that when he reclocks it, it rotates the spool too. I cannot for the life of me get it to spin and I'm reluctant to start banging on it lol.

You can see in my photo below where I slightly pulled the clutch assembly away from the spool housing, exposing the greased gears and the three pins I referred to (you can only see one near the bottom of the gap).

Is this where you rotated yours? Maybe I need to go grab my mallet and give it a few knocks?

IMG_20170424_172540538.jpg

Yes. I released the clutch by pulling and turning the handle, same as your pic. Just pull it out enough to rotate it. Don't recall any problem turning it.

So interestingly enough, as soon as I posted that, I went back out into the garage and applied some serious pressure. I was able to get it to break loose and rotate it, but not where I had it separated in the photo above, but at that line just to the left of the T-handle. After breaking it loose, I'm now able to rotate it quite easily and can now find the 40 degree increments I expected. This does not turn the spool as in the video, however. Perhaps this is a difference between the DV-9 and the DV-12?

Also, word to the wise, wear gloves when you break it loose, I crushed my knuckle between the T-handle and my bench top.

@jawjatek, thanks for the help buddy, I appreciate it. Come to FoCo and I'll buy you a beer.

That is probably it. On the DV-9s there are no pins to index on the gear/clutch side, but the sticky stuff kinda glued it in there , so I had to whack it loose. then the whole thing turned easily. I just turned the whole thing and re-installed the bolts. In your pic it sure looks like there is an index pin on the clutch side where it meets the mounting plate, so there must be a difference.

EDIT: As you noticed in the video, he turns the whole thing - you can tell by watching the white round "CE" sticker by his finger that turns along with the handle. I think the reason the spool turned along with it is the clutch handle is in the locked position. I put mine in free-spool as I mentioned.

There are index pins on the motor side, which you can clock in 90 degree increments, but you had to pull it out enough to clear the index pins, maybe half an inch. I know this, because initially, I reclocked the motor as well, but decided it was better to leave the terminals where they were, as it made mounting the control box and wiring easier, so I moved it back. There was no sticky stuff on the motor side and it was very easy to reclock.

Comeup makes a great winch, but like a lot of overseas products, the documentation is inadequate, just a thrown-together afterthought.

Here's pic of my install in my FJ60 w/ARB bumper. I ditched the thimble and that gross ugly red hook, and spliced on a Factor 55 "Splicer", so no metal there to nick up my Slee fairlead:
win2_zpsv4whxn3z.jpg

win1_zpsfmt5w2wi.jpg

I used to visit the front range a lot for work, but not lately, otherwise I'd take you up on that beer. :beer:

Last edited: