Rear tailgate light switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m dealing with the annoying issue of flickering overhead lights, and it appears that it is related to the switch in the rear tailgate. Bumps in the road as well as banging on the upper tailgate cause it to flicker. I’ve tried adjusting contacts and catcher to try and get the latch to maybe hold better, but no luck to this point. Does this switch have issues like the doors and I just need to replace it, or is there something else I should be looking for? Any suggestions are definitely appreciated. Thanks.

My upper tailgate used to not close all the way. It would do the same thing.

It's either mechanical (adjust the striker) or electrical (ground fault maybe?). If you can get the switch to work by hand, it's probably not the switch.

Thanks. Guess I just need to spend some more time playing around with adjustments and see what I can do.

Watching this thread. I’ve got the same issue. I know it’s the tailgate. I just don’t know where the ground or switch is that’s causing it.

The switch is built into the latch assembly that is directly behind the handle to open the hatch from the inside.

The light works by the switch grounding the circuit IIRC. If there are any shorting issues in that line before is gets to the switch, it could cause the circuit to go to ground and the lights to flicker when it does. Most likely place to look for that is to check the rubber cover on the wiring for the hatch from the body to it in the upper left corner of the hatch opening. If it's intact, it may be elsewhere, but if there's a tear or other damage of that cover it could expose the wiring to damage.

On the interior lights the switch IS the ground. When door opens it allows switch to complete the ground, making lights come on. If you have a flicker, you need to check the wiring coming back to the switch in the door, somewhere.... it’s either “nicked” or cut, allowing it to make intermittent contact, flickering the lights.

My upper tailgate used to not close all the way. It would do the same thing.

Yep, seen that one, adjusting the striker and lube the latch solved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom