Rear Diff and Transfer Case RVT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I completed my knuckle rebuild project and was going to move on to draining and refilling the diffs and transfer case with new gear oil. First went to the rear diff and found that the fill plug is completely rounded off to the point a socket will only catch briefly before spinning uselessly. I also noted there is a gray (or gray now due to dirt and grime) substance seeping from around the plug and the entire rear diff cover. I am assuming it is some sort of RVT type substance that the PO put on there to help seal up the diff and plug.

I moved to the transfer case and noted the fill and drain plug are in great condition with no signs of wear on the plugs. But again the drain plug has some red substance seeping out. Thinking this is RVT for sure based on the color. So this leads me to a couple of questions:

1. Does RVT come in gray and is it normal to use this on plugs?

2. Or is this some hodge-podge repair by the PO that indicates larger issues with the rear diff cover?

3. Once RVT has been used, will there be any long term harm to the plug threads, or will it just be a matter of cleaning up the threads and using the proper washers?

4. Where can I get a new rear diff plug to replace the stripped out one? (Update: Will this part on SOR do it 090-06-KIT?)

Last edited:
RTV silicon sealant comes in several different colors depending on the brand and purpose (orange, blue, white, clear, gray etc).

I never used silicon sealant in those drain plugs and I never had a leak in 40 years.

——-

The front and rear differentials use the same drain plug and gasket.
They’re still available from Toyota.

PartNums:

90341-18057 (plug)

12157-10010 (gasket)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom