Rear cargo door inside handle how to

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Feb 1, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
2
Location
Georgia
Greetings everyone. So the rear cargo door handle (inside) on my GX470 broke. I bought a replacement off eBay but I can’t figure out how to install it (I thought it would just “pop” in). Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks in advance.
 
what actually broke on it? if you lift the handle up there is plug on either side that pops out with a flat head. those hold the rear handle in, and i think behind them is 1 bolt each that helps hold the rear panel on if you need to get behind it for some reason
 
what actually broke on it? if you lift the handle up there is plug on either side that pops out with a flat head. those hold the rear handle in, and i think behind them is 1 bolt each that helps hold the rear panel on if you need to get behind it for some reason
The clips broke when I was trying to remove them to remove the door panel to replace the reverse lights, first time removing it. They were pretty brittle being twenty plus years old. So do I have to remove the door panel again to install the new handle?
 
The handle itself should sit directly in two square holes in the door sheetmeal. It then has two plugs that go into holes in the handle and keep the entire assembly from pulling out of the door. The plugs on mine broke which made it so the handle would not stay in the door. It's possible the plugs on the new handle are also broken. Either way, you can install it without removing the rear door trip - just put the handle on the door, knock the plugs in, and it should be good (5 minute job).

I ultimately replaced mine with some camlock strap webbing, two M8 bolts, and some fender washers. This is a much nicer setup than the OEM handle which is kind of crappy.
 
Back
Top Bottom