Rear Brake Pad Thickness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jul 29, 2019
Threads
47
Messages
250
Location
Texas
All,

Is there any way to visually estimate or measure how much material is left on the rear pads without wheel removal? The fronts are easy to spot through a spoke, however the rears seem nearly impossible due to the caliper design/e-brake. Is my only option a feeler gauge after removing a wheel?
 
Last edited:
I always remove my tire and caliper, but I believe you can estimate the thickness by just removing the tire and looking through the "window" on top of the caliper to estimate the remaining thickness. The pads have a channel in them that should be ~3mm at a minimum...anything less and they should be replaced.
 
I always remove my tire and caliper, but I believe you can estimate the thickness by just removing the tire and looking through the "window" on top of the caliper to estimate the remaining thickness. The pads have a channel in them that should be ~3mm at a minimum...anything less and they should be replaced.
You're referring to the gap at the center of the two pad sections, correct?

1726627928244.webp
 
Not doubting you, but where did you derive the 3mm specification from? Shouldn't the pads have wear indicators (noise) to indicate time to change?
The OEM pads will have a wear indicator that will make a noise. 3mm is pretty standard as a minimum brake pad thickness.
 
1726628989537.webp

I guess the factory service manual says 1mm, but I would never wait that long.
 
My rears are sitting at roughly 4mm and we have a 6000ish mile road trip in 10 days. I’m leaning towards changing these… we good or just shut up and do it?

IMG_2857.webp
 
The latter.
Yeah, I kinda knew this but felt like I could squeak by. I’ve had the parts on my shelf for over a year for when the time came, was just hoping to not add another “to do” to the pre trip list.
 
My rears are sitting at roughly 4mm and we have a 6000ish mile road trip in 10 days. I’m leaning towards changing these… we good or just shut up and do it?

View attachment 4156611
6000 highway miles, mountain miles or city miles? If you have the time before the trip, it's worth at a minimum piece of mind. Having to change them mid trip could be quite inconvenient or really through the trip for a loop.
 
6000 highway miles, mountain miles or city miles? If you have the time before the trip, it's worth at a minimum piece of mind. Having to change them mid trip could be quite inconvenient or really through the trip for a loop.
It’s a mix, 4k interstate, the rest will be secondary and dirt throughout Montana and Idaho. We’re towing 4500 pound trailer as well. I would prefer skipping a on the road shop visit as we had an unscheduled one on our summer trip last year for LCA’s and alignment issues.

I can knock it out tomorrow.

I pulled the pads and shim kit off the shelf, the wear indicator looks like it will make contact at just about 1mm give or take a hair, that gives me about 3 mm to work with. It should be fine but they’ll definitely need it when I get back. Might as well get it done before hand and take the possibility of issues off the table.
 
Last edited:
The latter.
Thanks for being the motivating kick in the pants I needed, I feel dumb now for even debating it. One had a low of less than 2mm, the rest varied between that and just shy of 4mm. 51,901 miles on these.

IMG_2891.webp
 
Thanks for being the motivating kick in the pants I needed, I feel dumb now for even debating it. One had a low of less than 2mm, the rest varied between that and just shy of 4mm. 51,901 miles on these.

View attachment 4157263
Good call. It seems like towing did a number on these pads! Well used and worn.
 
Back
Top Bottom