RCI Skids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone with RCI skids please confirm the exact combo I need to order from the 4th and 5th Gen T4R to work on the GX460? As I understand it, one of the plates needs notching and one of them (t-case or transmission) uses the plate from one generation and cross-member from another. I already have the front skid bolted up and will be ordering the gas skid as well.

Perfect, thanks! Album was super helpful as well...guess I missed that in my searches.

Call RCI, they will help you out.

This is what I have listed on my build (His and Her GX 460 Builds):
***Cheat sheet note: For GX 460, although most RCI 5th Gen 4Runner skids work (front, engine, gas tank and LCA skids), the transmission and transfer case skids should come from a 4th Gen V8 T4R. The cross brace for the transfer case skid should be from a 5th Gen T4R, and will have to be modified. The vertical wings on the transfer case skid will also need to be trimmed a little to fit.***

Note that I used the 4th gen transmission skid, different from HitchCrack. So definitely ask RCI for clarification. And make sure the cross brace that connects to the frame rails is from a 5th gen, because a 4th gen is for the 120 platform and has a different frame.

I have some photos and info starting on the bottom of the 2nd page, but also some updates and clarifications with photos in the next few pages of the thread as people asked questions.

***Cheat sheet note: For GX 460, although most RCI 5th Gen 4Runner skids work (front, engine, gas tank and LCA skids), the transmission and transfer case skids should come from a 4th Gen V8 T4R. The cross brace for the transfer case skid should be from a 5th Gen T4R, and will have to be modified. The vertical wings on the transfer case skid will also need to be trimmed a little to fit.***

I just got off the phone with RCI and this is what they instructed me to order as well, so I'll go with that. Thanks guys!

Did you get the full skid package deal? I’ve been meaning to call them to confirm the same thing but never got around to it. I want to order a complete set and swap out the trans and transfer skid.

Did you get the full skid package deal? I’ve been meaning to call them to confirm the same thing but never got around to it. I want to order a complete set and swap out the trans and transfer skid.

I already had the front, so I ordered everything else separately...t-case, tranny and gas tank.

@HitchCrack @TX GX460 did either of you guys drill new holes in the transfer case skid or crossmember for the bolts? For obvious reasons, my 4th Gen skid is no where close to bolting up with the 5th Gen crossmember. Assuming RCI sent me the correct parts...the cross member definitely bolts up without issue (after notching it for the t-case) so I assume they did.

MVIMG_20190511_162248.jpg

EDIT: Drilled 2 new holes in the crossmember on the outboard holes...easy peasy.

TX GX460, I found in your build thread where you said you drilled a couple holes in the crossmember and Hitchcrack, it looks like holes are getting drilled in your crossmember in one of your skid album pics. Guess I was on the right track.

Last edited:
Just bought a set a few weeks ago on a group buy, 5th Gen front for KDSS, 4th Gen trans, and they told me get the 5th Gen gas tank since the transfer case wouldn't quite fit. Now I see why and the solution for the next purchase!

EDIT: Drilled 2 new holes in the crossmember on the outboard holes...easy peasy.

TX GX460, I found in your build thread where you said you drilled a couple holes in the crossmember and Hitchcrack, it looks like holes are getting drilled in your crossmember in one of your skid album pics. Guess I was on the right track.
Sorry I didn't get back to you - I have been traveling overseas (Asia) the past few weeks and haven't had much time to check the forum. I'm glad you found my notes on this issue and got it worked out. Enjoy the new skids - go out and get them scratched up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom