Rattling noise coming from front of engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C
Any progress on this?

I wonder if there is something within the throttle body that could be the culprit? Sounds like you are slowly ruling everything else out.

Whatever it is, its connected to the serp belt.

Sounds silly and basic, but how about tapping things with a rubber mallet to zero in on what makes the noise worse or better with the serp belt installed and engine running?

Sounds silly and basic, but how about tapping things with a rubber mallet to zero in on what makes the noise worse or better with the serp belt installed and engine running?
No rattle with serp belt off

Tap with a mallet with the serp belt on and engine running.

Any progress on this?

I wonder if there is something within the throttle body that could be the culprit? Sounds like you are slowly ruling everything else out.
So I ordered a new Aisin fan clutch and fan bracket. I'm going to swap these and see if that fixes it. If not..I will have to raise the white flag and take it to Toyota. At that point all of the accessories would have been ruled out.

Im guessing fan bracket because its a hell of a noise

So I ordered a new Aisin fan clutch and fan bracket. I'm going to swap these and see if that fixes it. If not..I will have to raise the white flag and take it to Toyota. At that point all of the accessories would have been ruled out.

Good luck, this is an interesting one. Worst case scenario at least you replaced some wearable items.

Pretty sure I found the culprit. The ac compressor is missing the front bolt. Someone before me decided to not put it in. With a pry bar I could pry against the compressor with it running and the noise went away. If anyone knows the size and length of that bolt I would be very grateful.

Pretty sure I found the culprit. The ac compressor is missing the front bolt. Someone before me decided to not put it in. With a pry bar I could pry against the compressor with it running and the noise went away. If anyone knows the size and length of that bolt I would be very grateful.
Searching now... this is as close as I could get but no bolt on the parts blow out. May just call your local toyota.
>>Condenser, Compressor & Lines for 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser | Norwalk Toyota Parts

thats a weird one but noise has a way of traveling through different objects that just have a similar resonant frequency. i remember banging my head against a wall for about a week trying diag a noise. dash was torn out of the car and i isolated it down to one particular bracket, turns out it was the r/f strut mount that was 1/4 turn too loose and the vibration was traveling through the suspension to that particular bracket causing a rattle. nice job tracking that one down

thats a weird one but noise has a way of traveling through different objects that just have a similar resonant frequency. i remember banging my head against a wall for about a week trying diag a noise. dash was torn out of the car and i isolated it down to one particular bracket, turns out it was the r/f strut mount that was 1/4 turn too loose and the vibration was traveling through the suspension to that particular bracket causing a rattle. nice job tracking that one down

I will have to remember this for future reference. These are the worse type of problems. I replaced the ac compressor pulley bearing..trued shaking the ac compressor with the belt off..and it had no movement. I will be anxious to confirm tomorrow that this bolt fixes my problem. I appreciate all the help from you guys.

So the bolt fixed the problem. Loosening the back bolt to get the missing front bolt in on that ac compressor is a 2 man job...what a nightmare that back bolt is. Has to be done with a 14mm socket and a knuckle but not enough room to position the knuckle so thankfully I had my brother there to help position the socket. She is quiet as a mouse now. Taking her on a 3 hour trip wish me luck. I've put a crap load of work into this LC. New brakes, calipers, rotors, fluids, shocks, hub, axle flange, cv axle, plugs, filters, control arms, ball joints, tires, timing belt and pulleys, water pump, belt, pulleys, windshield, wheel bearings, bushings and lastly a missing ac compressor bolt. Dealer wanted 7k for half of that work. I did it for 2k (me doing the labor) so today is her maiden voyage for a trip longer than a few miles.

Reactions: MJK
So the bolt fixed the problem. Loosening the back bolt to get the missing front bolt in on that ac compressor is a 2 man job...what a nightmare that back bolt is. Has to be done with a 14mm socket and a knuckle but not enough room to position the knuckle so thankfully I had my brother there to help position the socket. She is quiet as a mouse now. Taking her on a 3 hour trip wish me luck. I've put a crap load of work into this LC. New brakes, calipers, rotors, fluids, shocks, hub, axle flange, cv axle, plugs, filters, control arms, ball joints, tires, timing belt and pulleys, water pump, belt, pulleys, windshield, wheel bearings, bushings and lastly a missing ac compressor bolt. Dealer wanted 7k for half of that work. I did it for 2k (me doing the labor) so today is her maiden voyage for a trip longer than a few miles.
Awesome, what a nice feeling it must be to solve that. Noted to all 100 series owners if it sounds like a rattle can / clanky noise it could be a loose AC compressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom