Random rattle noise on 96 LX450

Having a strange rattling noise under my LX450. Only happens when moving. Does not seem to be be related to bumps in the road or other issues. Can rev motor and still not hear any rattle. Is there a common problem or issue that plagues these. Have owned for 15 years never heard it before. Random rattle, never consistent.
TIA
Tom

zapatius

SILVER Star
Having a strange rattling noise under my LX450. Only happens when moving. Does not seem to be be related to bumps in the road or other issues. Can rev motor and still not hear any rattle. Is there a common problem or issue that plagues these. Have owned for 15 years never heard it before. Random rattle, never consistent.
TIA
Tom

Most likely one of the heat shields. Give them all a tug.

LandLocked93

SILVER Star
Yeah, heat shields...to include the clamps on the exhaust pipe covers just ahead of the cats. The clamps can rust through, yet remain attached. And the ends can rattle at certain RPMs against the exhaust cover itself. It's not the whole of your program, just thought worth a mention to look at.
I ended up using 1/2" stainless steel bands (ss zipties) to replace the clamps on those covers.

Did a quick check and could not budge the shields. Going to check further this weekend with motor completely cool. I just drove over 1/2 mile over a root infested road and no noise. Then in a flat section the hollow steel rattle sound came around for 2 seconds and stopped. I think it was when I applied the throttle after coasting for a minute. Its the strangest thing. I was worried at first that it was my u-joints or drive shaft issues.

I had a random rattle on my 97, sounded like it was coming from PS front engine/wheel/suspension- went from front to back underneath it with a rubber mallet popping every bushing, bar, shaft, component.... got all the way to the rear PS side and it was the rear spring had unseated its rubber spacer (which was basically deteriorated) after airing a speed bump at the plaza and would occasionally get in contact with the upper retainer and rattle....blew my mind how that sound traveled all the way to the front corner.

Get to tapping?

Squeaks and rattles that I’ve found
1) random s*** the wife leaves in cup holders
2) exhaust hanger bushing. This one is aft of the cats. Follow the hanger up with your finger to see what’s left of the rubber bushing. Mine was toast. Spent a few bucks with Joey at wits end
3) LCP’s front sway bar disconnect cotter pin. If the catch is allowed to sit on top of the sway bar, it can rattle. For me, it rattled on even ground, at idle. Heat shrink on the cotter pin catch fixed it. It was only on the passenger side.
4) bushings started to fail on my icon shocks. Not usually a big deal, except the front passenger but doesn’t want to do anything but spin. Just ordered some Dobi MRA’s to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom