Radiator Overflow tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adarcy

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

A previous owner mounted the tank to the fan shroud. It works fine for city driving, but is not ideal for off road. Coolant splashes around enough that it gets into the upper purge tube and makes a mess of things.

Question is, what's the correct tank and what's the correct way/place to mount it?

Its a 72 Body/Frame, 2F from a early 80's FJ40 and a 4 core radiator from CityRacer.

Thanks!

Andy

IMG_5265.jpg

I don’t believe the earlier FJ40s had an overflow tank. I have a 74 and it never had one, unless the previous owner took it off.

I used a FJ60 overflow tank and mounted it to the bracket where the horn is located and moved the horn down lower on the fender.
B7AEB854-816A-43CB-BC14-915F1543F00D.jpeg

Yup no overflow tank from factory on F engines (up to 74). Overflow tank appeared with the 2F.

On my 1974 I bought the small overflow kit from @ToyotaMatt : NON USA OEM TOYOTA Radiator Coolant Overflow Bottle Jar Kit Hose Bracket 16480 Fj40 FJ60 FJ55 BJ42 B 2F F MINI Size COMPACT - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/products/non-usa-oem-toyota-radiator-coolant-overflow-bottle-jar-kit-hose-bracket-fj40-fj60-fj55-bj42-b-2f-f-mini-size-compact

But contrary to the examples on his website I bolted it on this bolt of the shroud :
(sorry no picture from me since I installed it)
1616463723006.png

If fits perfectly between the shroud and the horn, I had nothing to move around.

Off course the overflow tank works as one may expect...

Thanks guys. Both solutions that you posted look similar to each other and substantially better than my rigged up tank.

I’ll give @ToyotaMatt s solution a try!

Andy

Thanks @flx

the FJ60 OEM parts solution , i have used in the past prior to Discovering this NON-USA little guy , same exact Fluid capacity as the FJ60 overflow , so must be a TOYOTA or Industrial JIS Standard of some sort ?

- FJ60 requires the additional purchase of the OEM mounting bracket , my KIT includes the same OEM Mounting Bracket

i call him , my " KOOL Little Guy " :cool: 🦄

NOTE: TOYOTA has Discontinued the OEM mounting bracket , so i make that part happen on my end now , and as usual overengineered it be a way better reproduction OEM Parts Solution .Yellow Zinc GOLD Plated Bracket .........

Both the NLA / Disc. i did use and the now
Premium Genuine Quality Reproduction OEM Parts one allow for easy SLIDE - UP removal and general rinse out and keep clean maintenance as needed

fyi , update 7/30/2023 ....

1616470954424.png

1616470990817.png

Last edited:

hi ,

nice snappy little DENSO there .....

my kit has been Superseded , and updated to meet my NEW STRICT SNOW VERSION spec. Branding ...

if you would like the Corect Update feature parts kit sent out Please PM me

thanks !

matt

1690525608722.png

for those folks who have 9/77 - 10/85 ALL 40 series anything BJ , FJ , HJ too ...

- i set out to offer the most comprehensive all inclusive and ONLY Top Shelf OEM Japan Spec. Parts used as well ...

- it has earned the strict criteria to sport our exclusi
ve SNOW VERSION brand badge , this translated into : HEAVY DUTY TOUGH as NAILS that does not disappoint
-
make sure to CLICK ON the speaker icon volume when u watch the TECH Video below ...fyi

- below is the result ..
thanks for your support :)

1690751147598.png

1690751158848.png

1690751250868.png

1690751265506.png

1690751283209.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom