Racor filter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read though just about every thread I can find on here about adding a Racor filter. I am looking at adding one to run biodiesel on a 3b powered Bj73. Ideally the Racor 445r would take up less space in the engine bay, but I found a 490r at 65% off, and that is a good savings. Here is where my two questions come in.

1. Does anyone know if you can run an r45 filter on an r90 housing? I've read through the technical specs doc and cannot tell. https://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/22209_Rev_G_400_Series.pdf Filter size is the same, housing is the same (with a larger port), the only difference is the 490 filters at 90 gph and the 445r at 45gph.
  2. If the 3b is only pulling at its normal rate the gph being higher should not matter, correct?

Thanks in advance. I am new to diesel so I have a steep learning curve ahead.

Heard back from Racor today. In case anyone else looks this up,

"These [445 and 490] are the same family of filters. They are the 400 series mounting bracket with a different spin-on filter, based on flow rate requirements. The R45 is for flows up to 45 gph, and the R90 is for flows up to 90 gph. The bowls are the same and are interchangeable. You could turn a 490R filter into a 445R or a 445R into a 490R."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom