Question about stock rear axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i have a 92 4runner and the rear axle locked up on me while i was drivin down the interstate and i was wondering how to fix it and what might be wrong..i hanent taken the axle apart yet cause i have to work so much but i was just wondering if there is a quick cheap fix.

The pinion nut can back off and cause the pinion to bind with the ring gear causing a lockup. Usally this happens at very low speeds, if you're already rolling fast the pinion will stay in line with the ring gear. If the nut has backed off, it didn't do it overnight but could have done it right before it became loose enough to lock the pinion-ring gear. IF this was the case you would have had a drive line vibration that feels like a really bad u-joint.

Did it do it on dry pavement or in snow? Did it just go qua-PAANG! or quietly lock up? Both Wheels lock up or one? If you had to get it towed, because it wouldn't go forward or backward in any position (4/2wd etc.) your ring and pinion or bearings gave up the ghost, if one wheel I'd check your brakes/bearings. If both wheels but it would kind of go, but was sluggish, I'd look at your LSPV. Other than that? Tcase???? Or what bear mentioned, although I have no experience with that happening, but makes too much sense (wish I heard of that a while back :rolleyes: ).

well both of the wheels locked up on me and then they would spin loose then lock up again..it happened on dry pavement. i tried to move it in both two and four wheel drive and nothing really either both forward and backward..the wheels will spin about 6 inches and then it will lock up again and wont go any farther..they had to drag it on to the flat bed cause even in neutral it wont go anywhere.

easy fix is to cut the thing off and throw it into a dumpster and go and get another from a junk yard and throw it in. you could fix the problem in half an hour this way.

save your axle shafts and break parts tho you might need em. :D

ring and pinion, you've got problems. might have eaten up your axle shafts depending on what happened. Start tearing it apart....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom