Question about steering column mounting - Power steering conversion

HELP!

I'm installing a JT Outfitters kit and the column I have (later model FJ40) doesn't work in my 71. It's got the angled firewall mount. So can I just reuse the old column and get the rag joint adapter from JTO? Or how do I mount the damn column in an older '40?

Thanks!

Im about to do the same thing to my 71. From what Ive read you have to cut your column a few inches short and weld the adapter to the shaft.

I have a 74 LC column in my 72 body, I just marked and cut the firewall, then I bolted the flange to the wall. I did have to notch the lower right corner of the flange to clear the early gas pedal bracket. It's a great fit and it looks OEM.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Early style power steering conversion ‘kits’ used a plate that had a bolt pattern on it similar to the pattern for the gasket around the early column, and had an oval cut into the plate so that you could reuse the original column and weld it to the plate, and then secure it to the firewall with the bolts that secured the gasket.

There is no reason why you cannot do the same thing with a later column in an earlier truck. I did this with the 1962 FST 40 that I am building at the shop. I will try and post up some pictures of this tomorrow.

:beer:

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Late model column welded to an early support plate:
col01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom