Purchase advice for my first 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm looking to purchase a 200 series LC, and I'd love to get some advices from others that have maybe gone through similar decision making process.

First, a little background: I leave in Oakland, in the San Francisco Bay Area. My wife and I have 3 yo and 4 yo old daughters. I was an avid off roader when I was younger but for the last few years, our vehicles have been much more on the "practical" side. Now, the lease will be up on our Mazda SUV in January and we're looking to get an LC to replace it. At first, it will be used mainly for typical parent duties: school dropoffs, hauling stuff for home projects, occasional roadtrips, a few camping trips per year, ski trips, etc... but.. and this is where things get interesting: in 12 -18 months, we're getting ready to drive down (with the family of course) the Pan American highway to Patagonia over the course of year. So we're looking to get a vehicle that can function in both scenarios: safe and highly functional around town, but rugged and durable enough to do get off the beaten track and do some wheeling down in SA.

So far I'm looking at 2016's because I wouldn't mind saving a bit of coin by going preowned, and from the research I've done, it seems 2016's are almost identical to 2019s. It also seems like 2016 was the first year where Toyota included all the modern safety tech which is pretty important to me for driving around the Bay Area.

So far, every 2016 I've looked at has the rear seat entertainment screens though and this is kind of a non starter for me. I know for 2019's they are an option, but does anyone know if they were included on every 2016 ? I know they can be deleted, and you can even buy little covers for the gap that they leave, but that's non ideal and it just seems like a waste.

Anyway, great to meet everyone. I've really enjoyed reading through a lot of the threads on here, and I'm looking forward to participating in the community.

Yes. They became optional for MY 18, I believe. 16+ is a good choice. Check 570s too because the pre-owned are less expensive, at least in my neck of the woods. Good luck.

Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm looking to purchase a 200 series LC, and I'd love to get some advices from others that have maybe gone through similar decision making process.

First, a little background: I leave in Oakland, in the San Francisco Bay Area. My wife and I have 3 yo and 4 yo old daughters. I was an avid off roader when I was younger but for the last few years, our vehicles have been much more on the "practical" side. Now, the lease will be up on our Mazda SUV in January and we're looking to get an LC to replace it. At first, it will be used mainly for typical parent duties: school dropoffs, hauling stuff for home projects, occasional roadtrips, a few camping trips per year, ski trips, etc... but.. and this is where things get interesting: in 12 -18 months, we're getting ready to drive down (with the family of course) the Pan American highway to Patagonia over the course of year. So we're looking to get a vehicle that can function in both scenarios: safe and highly functional around town, but rugged and durable enough to do get off the beaten track and do some wheeling down in SA.

So far I'm looking at 2016's because I wouldn't mind saving a bit of coin by going preowned, and from the research I've done, it seems 2016's are almost identical to 2019s. It also seems like 2016 was the first year where Toyota included all the modern safety tech which is pretty important to me for driving around the Bay Area.

So far, every 2016 I've looked at has the rear seat entertainment screens though and this is kind of a non starter for me. I know for 2019's they are an option, but does anyone know if they were included on every 2016 ? I know they can be deleted, and you can even buy little covers for the gap that they leave, but that's non ideal and it just seems like a waste.

Anyway, great to meet everyone. I've really enjoyed reading through a lot of the threads on here, and I'm looking forward to participating in the community.
Welcome!

DVD became an option in 2018. Standard in years prior. Same year they added power hatch and soft close tail gate. Also removed factory remote start in 2018 as an option (to not available).

2016 get you a better center stack, 8-speed tranny, safety sense, new hood/grill, probably more I can’t think of (Semi-analine leather maybe?)

@TrekboxX makes a nice delete option but your girls will not like that idea.

Please call me to chat at your convenience so I can give you a few tips. 317-385-9572

Last edited:
I saw on YouTube video that 2016+, Toyota changed the tires to have lower rolling resistance and more load rating. True??

I have had both, a 2016 and now a 2019. Not much difference. Hated the rear seat entertainment so I removed them from the 2016.

Don't over think it. A nice, decently cared for '16 will be an awesome vehicle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom