Pulling out bent rain gutter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I flopped my 80 and did plenty of damage that I'll be attempting to repair on my own. My biggest hurdle will be the bent rain gutter. I put it over on the PS and the gutter got pushed in in a few places where the roof rack was attached. Any suggestions on how to get it pulled out? I'm new to body work and don't really have the money to pay someone to do it for me. I'm not looking for perfect, just goodinuf. The water containers were empty BTW.
Thanks
Paul
image.jpg
image.jpg

Something with that much work is going to require professional tools. Most of that should come out with a stud gun and slide hammer. As for the drip rail. Good luck. Best think you could do is buy a slide hammer with a hook attachment and pull it out as much as you can. I do not recommend drilling holes and pulling the metal that way. Unless you plan on welding those holes shut. Bondo on top of those holes will just crack and make you have to redo the body work. I would recommend you take it to a body shop once you have saved up some money.

Thats a good one!
I have a dent on my zuk that I need to pull. It's like yours, but not as bad.........but it'll still be a SOB to pull.

I have a stud gun, have used it, and I can tell you they are not designed to pull such deep / creased dents from my attempts with it.
See if you can get to the back of the dents and push / hammer them out. On mine, I cannot. There is a panel blocking the access. I may end up cutting that panel out to push / hammer the dent. Was going to make a clamp to attach to the grip rail, and use a come-along anchored to a tree to help pull the rail out. Maybe you can do the same??

Keep us posted how it goes!

I use to work in a body shop many years ago. You have much bigger problems than that rain gutter. When we had badly damaged rain gutters, mostly rusted out, we just cut them off. Saved the customer a lot of cash. Sometimes we would only cut one side off. Most people would never notice. I just seen your roof rack is attached to the gutters so may not be an option for you.

Last edited:
Did you figure it out? I see you posted this a few months back. Maybe try and put a length of cable or good nylon strap around the roof rack mount close to the gutter and gently pull it straight or maybe even slightly down with a come-a-Long, go slow

Body shops have clamps that are designed for pulling. Out rain gutters
You could make one with some plate steel and a couple bolts
Make one piece like a L to fit in gutter
One flat one for under bolt them on attach puller
And pull

I fixed mine 8 months ago.....
Cut out an access panel from the inside cab sheetmetal. With both dolly and spoon work, and pulling on the bent gutter, I got mine about 98 percent true. Welded a patch panel into the hole I had cut, prep, finish......can't even tell there was a repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom